What size wire .....

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Taid

What size wire .....

Post by Taid »

I will be putting some new wiring on the bike, Flashers and brake lights (All LED >>)..

I am thinking of 14/029 which is 8Amp .. or so I understand .. approx 100 Watt on 12 Volts .. so ample power .. I think it should be flexible enough to avoid vibration hardening.

Or am I missing something ..

advice appreciated

Thanks
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Reynard24

Re: What size wire .....

Post by Reynard24 »

14/0.3 should do the job perfectly with LEDs and I've never yet had a problem with vibration fracture with multistrand cable. Don't forget to use grommets if you're going through panels and try for smooth rather than tight curves on the loom.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I'm not sure about the 14/029 spec'n but I think it means 14 strands of 0.029 dia wires which will be fine.
You should fit a fuse at the battery. However, bear in mind that (in theory) if the fuse is rated higher than 8 amps the wiring won't be protected in the event of a short circuit.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Taid

Post by Taid »

SPRIDDLER wrote: ......

You should fit a fuse at the battery. However, bear in mind that (in theory) if the fuse is rated higher than 8 amps the wiring won't be protected in the event of a short circuit.
Point taken S .. the bike came with a single 15 amp fuse, so theoretically all wiring should have been 15 or more, which I don't think is the case .. I suspect the fuse/holder was fitted by a past owner .. since I will be using LEDs all round, especially with 12v electrics I figured a 7.5 Amp blade fuse would be adequate .. and it would (just about) protect the new 8 amp wiring ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987