G15-CS damper length

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
AgentX

G15-CS damper length

Post by AgentX »

Hi, everyone, and happy to be here.

I'm second owner of a 1965 G15-CS, and just got it running after a few years of messing around with it. Unfortunately, due to the post office, I'm now without the 030440 damper tubes I need, and I can't find any on the market. (Still poking around...a few calls left to make...)

Trying to turn lemons to lemonade, I've approached Don about some custom-length Lansdowne cartridges for my fork. But to make them, I need the full damper length, which I obviously can't measure without my damper tubes.

If anyone knows or can measure the length of the full assembly (any year should do, whether the Matchless or Roadholder internals...they all fit in the same stanchions.)

Don says his cartridges have 25mm over the stock Commando fork travel. I'm unaware of the total travel on the stock G15 forks, but figured the extra inch of well-damped travel was more useful than more travel with less control. Opinions on that welcome. I'm not using it as a desert racer...fireroad blaster at most, pavement most of the time.

Thanks for helping out the new guy here.

-Mike
Peter Morris

Re: G15-CS damper length

Post by Peter Morris »

AgentX

Post by AgentX »

Yes, alas...one-line response that they cannot supply the part. Norvil can't, Walridge hasn't been able to yet, Baxter can't, Britcycle can't...I could go on and on.

I really chose the wrong component to come up missing.
AgentX

Post by AgentX »

(I am aware I can switch to Roadholder internals using damper 030037, new top caps, new damper rods, etc., but with the cost of that, the Lansdownes aren't a huge investment and offer a great performance increase...)
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Have you got a photo or parts picture? I have a set of damper rods that I acquired some time ago that (from memory) are longer than the usual '50's models (18s/G80/16ms/G3LS) I'm used to. Don't want to get your hopes up but maybe they are what you're looking for. I'll be able to have a look tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

ImageImageImageImage

uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Might be sending you on a wild-goose-chase but photo's of the two 'unknown' dampers and a 'normal' (to me) AJS/Matchless damper for comparison.

Measured fully extended and fully compressed.

AgentX

Post by AgentX »

uktom, thanks so much for taking your time to do that for me. Unfortunately, those don't match the dampers I lost...they seem to be a short tube with an extension brazed onto them. The bases of the tubes were the same as the matched pair you show, but there were both a large and a small hole near the top extension.