18S camshaft shims

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Andy51

18S camshaft shims

Post by Andy51 »

Hi All, I am in the process of fitting standard cams to my '54 18S, and there is considerable end float on the exhaust camshaft. The parts book lists shim washers 0.005", 016847, and 0.010", 016848, but club spares do not list them. I can probably adjust the exhaust endfloat relatively easily by moving the bush in the timing cover, as it is accessible from both sides. However, if there is endfloat on the exhaust, there may be some on the inlet. How do I check and adjust? From earlier postings, you add shims and refit timing cover until it doesn't sit flat, measure gap with feelers and remove shims accordingly. Any idea where I can get shims, or use another method? Cheers, Andy
ajscomboman

Re: 18S camshaft shims

Post by ajscomboman »

AMC Classic Spares sell them although Ken De Groome advises against their use as they do wear and break up. No Idea how long that takes though. I suppose they are ok to use as the factory listed them. I moved and peened the bushes when I did mine.
Andy51

Re: 18S camshaft shims

Post by Andy51 »

Hi Rob, thanks for this info. I have ordered shims from Steve to be picked up at
Kempton this Sat. Maybe not best practice, but saves a lot of work, especially on inlet side. I am just swapping cams, rather than a rebuild. Cheers, Andy