A New Acquisition

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

A New Acquisition

Post by Pharisee »

My new (to me) bike was delivered this morning. The more observant amongst you will recognise it as the bike that was on eBay before Christmas. It's been imported from California and as far as I can tell, it's in pretty good original nick. It will require a UK registration eventually. I do have a document from H.M. Revenue & Customs to say that an application for registration can be made.
The engine runs ok so I'm assuming that the Lucas racing magneto is ok but all the other electrics are dead. That may just be a dead battery and/or a duff dynamo. Not a real problem in the great scheme of things. The wiring harness is well perished and will need to be replaced in due course. My workshop is currently occupied by my AJS M18S but I'm looking forward to getting this one in there in the not-too-distant future.
It's my first competion model so I may well be calling on your collective knowledge if problems arise :D
John
20200114_103756[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
cbranni

Re: A New Acquisition

Post by cbranni »

That looks a great buy, well done.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
raffles

Post by raffles »

They are very good with comp bikes in Lincolnshire so get down to the Poachers
meet some good people and tap their knowledge.
Tony
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

John, at first glance, you must be very happy, looks like a '56', can we see the other side, Cliff...
gotoole

Post by gotoole »

Vey nice. best wishes with it
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Cjay59 wrote:John, at first glance, you must be very happy, looks like a '56', can we see the other side, Cliff...
Yes, very happy, thanks. The engine number would indicate that it's a '56. I'll have to wait for the frame number to be identified by the Dating Officer to be sure. My G3 left the factory at the end of '53 but the engine number starts 54/

The bike is on the bench in my workshop now and there's not a lot of room to get a good photo of the left side. This is the best I can do at the moment.
OLD_8011.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Lovely new shed as well, with a vacuum cleaner and a Myford :D

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

cbranni wrote:Lovely new shed as well, with a vacuum cleaner and a Myford :D

Colin
Very observant of you, Colin :D The shed was built about 6 months ago. I've only just acquired the Myford. It's currently sitting on the floor, waiting for my mate to come round and help me get it up onto the bench. The vacuum cleaner was my part of the divorce settlement. I got the VAX, my wife got everything else :rofl:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Pharisee wrote: The vacuum cleaner was my part of the divorce settlement. I got the VAX, my wife got everything else :rofl:
Nothing new there; divorce sucks.

Love the bike and I never knew that Harrods did sheds either.
Pharisee wrote: . My G3 left the factory at the end of '53 but the engine number starts 54/
'54 models were made from Sept 1st '53 to Aug 31st '54 ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Right... the first of what's likely to be a number of questions. As I've already said, this is my first 'competition model' and I've bought it to ride, not as a financial investment or museum exhibit. That said, it's in very original condition, and I wouldn't want to do anything to it that couldn't be reversed or would seriously affect its resale value... It will have to be sold (as will my other bikes) in the future to pay for my care home!!
Ok... The headlight glass and reflector. The reflector has a large hole in it, presumable to fit a pilot light, but none is fitted and the hole looks too big for a normal pilot light bulb holder. What was fitted originally?
Also the headlight bulb is not one with a fitting that I recognise and it can only be removed by taking the reflector out of the rim. I do need to replace it as the bulb is old and its glass is 'smokey'. Also the reflector is distinctly yellow. As I want to be seen at night, is there a more modern glass/reflector/bulb combination that will fit the rim (6"?).
Thanks, John
20200120_130746.jpg
20200120_130911.jpg