Gearbox, layshaft bush, driveside

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
vigo

Re: Gearbox, layshaft bush, driveside

Post by vigo »

Anyway gents it's all gold worth to new Matchless boys like me. I've ordered a new RNU205 from Simple Bearings, £43 a considerable saving from club and Russel.
Mike

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

If you had waited until next week we'd have probably been able to get very near to that price as we've just ordered a batch using the link supplied.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

clanger9 wrote:I wouldn't go that far, Paul! Most of my contributions here are based on what you've taught me... :beer:
:beer: thanks... wouldn't call myself an expert just a jack of all trades, I would always recommend trying stuff yourself first as it teaches you so much. Good also to see club spares getting a stock of those bearings, will save a lot of hassle for future lightweight owners in the future, all we need now is a stock of that output gear... did I see a flying pig???
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Ozmadman wrote:
clanger9 wrote:I wouldn't go that far, Paul! Most of my contributions here are based on what you've taught me... :beer:
:beer: thanks... wouldn't call myself an expert just a jack of all trades, I would always recommend trying stuff yourself first as it teaches you so much. Good also to see club spares getting a stock of those bearings, will save a lot of hassle for future lightweight owners in the future, all we need now is a stock of that output gear... did I see a flying pig???

We could get them made as we now have a company that will make any gear we'd like. However unless you're willing to sell your kidney etc I doubt it'll be economically viable.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ajscomboman wrote:
Ozmadman wrote:

We could get them made as we now have a company that will make any gear we'd like. However unless you're willing to sell your kidney etc I doubt it'll be economically viable.
:rofl: :lol:
Paul
1960 Model 8
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

A bit of confusion over these bearings and the cost. There is no way you can get a bearing of the correct spec for £43 or less. The bearing in this price range has a fibre glass cage which isn't correct to original spec. The recommended bearing is the RNU205 with steel cage which is in the £65 range according to Simply Bearings and matches original spec. We've asked for a batch discount and are still awaiting their reply.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Yes, think that's what I paid about + V.A.T of course..
Paul
1960 Model 8
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

OMG it's like pulling teeth with the youngsters at Simply Bearings, 2 requests and 2 replies with the wrong bearing quoted despite it being on their website. :headbang: :headbang:

At this rate it appears that it won't be viable for us to stock as it'll be cheaper going direct. Mind you if this is how they operate then good luck!

Hopefully third time lucky but don't hold your breath on the price!
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

How can they get it wrong? they have the part number so how difficult can it be?
Paul
1960 Model 8
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

You tell me! I have given them the part number and size and 2 times they have come back with a different bearing code. :headbang: I'm still waiting to hear back for the third time.