021907 Seal retainers

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
ajscomboman

Re: 021907 Seal retainers

Post by ajscomboman »

The first few I picked up screwed straight in and looked fine, however the others were tighter and need the thread looked at, the welds inside really aren't a big issue to the function and once we'd established the correct size, spring fit wasn't an issue either. We'll look into the main thread issue and get it resolved. However you didn't mention if you'd be prepared to pay over £100 for UK made ones?
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

The original UK ones advertised on the spares scheme site were nearly £100 anyway and I had been awaiting availability for around 4 months, asking them occasionally when they were likely to be available.
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
78 Honda Superdream (rebuilding)
51 Cyclemaster (in queue)
56 G11 bitsa (in boxes awaiting courage)
78 Series Landrover (rebuilding)
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

BruceB wrote:The original UK ones advertised on the spares scheme site were nearly £100 anyway and I had been awaiting availability for around 4 months, asking them occasionally when they were likely to be available.
OK with that in mind we'll pursue the UK ones in greater depth. It's always a great concern because most of the time all we hear is how expensive the parts are. Also whilst you maybe happy others baulk and we'll have committed so much money into the part that may then take years to sell it deprives us of replacing other desperately needed parts. It's a real juggling act and seems that we never seem to strike the correct balance. In an ideal world we'd love to see everything in stock but despite the interest in the old bikes and the 90's 00's boom, the rub off is those willing to make spares has dwindled.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Laudem detrahere publice privatimque celebratum.

Steve (wot prefers to resolve any problems with the other party before even considering 'going public' ;) )

PS Keep up the excellent work, spares folk. It is appreciated.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Greybeard wrote:Laudem detrahere publice privatimque celebratum.

Steve (wot prefers to resolve any problems with the other party before even considering 'going public' ;) )

PS Keep up the excellent work, spares folk. It is appreciated.
It happens to every company Steve, wish it didn't but it does, however we'll always listen to the comments and do our best to rectify and find new suppliers.
griffin

Post by griffin »

g80csp11 wrote:Ive started making my own , you can buy stainless tube of ebay and turn off the old ones and silver solder new ones to the seal holder
total cost less than a tenner each if you have a lathe , silver solder and the time /skill
Peter any chance of details and a sketch of how you fabricated the holders.
Thanks in advance.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I buy stainless tube of the correct outer Diameter , from memory about £18/m then cut the extension about 5mm above the inner seal holder part . grip in the lathe on the inner diameter and turn off the extension until a close interference fit on the new stainless . cut stainless to length and silver solder in place . i made a set for my P11 although had someone else silver solder in place . so far many 1000#s miles and no problems
BruceB

Post by BruceB »

I bought stainless tube and cut it to length but without a lathe I don't think its possible to make them properly. With all the small engineering companies in lockdown or going slow I didn't think I would get the bike sorted before the end of the summer.
So bit the bullet and ordered the only set of retainers I could find anywhere in the world that were in stock and the sizes matched, ended up costing just a shade over £300 by the time all the vat , shipping and taxes had been paid. Obviously expensive and a hard pill to swallow but at least I can get the bike back together by the end of the week and get some use out of it before the weather turns.
Forks back in tonight fully rebuilt and just assembling the rest of the gubbins around them now.
66 BSA Spitfire MK11
77 Yamaha XS750 Triple
98 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
78 Honda Superdream (rebuilding)
51 Cyclemaster (in queue)
56 G11 bitsa (in boxes awaiting courage)
78 Series Landrover (rebuilding)
72 MG Midget (in queue)
06 Honda XL1000
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Definitely a hard pill to swallow at that price but if it means the bike is back on the road then it's worth it to you, after the first ride you will soon forget about it, the smile on your face will prove it, enjoy.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

The club have these on order and are due into stock very soon they are already 2 weeks late.
Roy