Those very nice people at the DVLA...

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Those very nice people at the DVLA...

Post by Pharisee »

... have sent me a V5C with a new, age related, registration number for my recently acquired G80CS that was imported from the US of A.
It wasn't totally hassle free but the minor problem I had was largely of my own making. I'll know better next time.
Yipppeeeee........!!!
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Iron Head

Re: Those very nice people at the DVLA...

Post by Iron Head »

That's great news John well done. I'm not far away from getting my US import G80CS on the road. I have the NOVA all validated and recorded by the DVLA and a very comprehensive dating certificate from Roy for the bike. Can I apply for my V5C or ought I to show willing by getting it insured on the frame number and MOT'd first?

Thanks Iron Head
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Iron Head wrote: Can I apply for my V5C or ought I to show willing by getting it insured on the frame number and MOT'd first?
I may well be wrong but I have in mind that the last time I applied for an age-related number for a bike and a 'Scamp' kit car they needed MOT's before the DVLA would process the application :?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bitza

Post by bitza »

I sent in the dating certificate from Roy, two photo's near and offside, a close up of frame no. So it tied in with dating certificate, prior to posting it off I spoke the DVLA, and a helpful lady said, I know what you need has my father as just restored a velocette, she gave me the gen, telling me you will receive a age related number first, and documents a short time later, I reckon this is for security
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

You won't need an MOT but you will need an insurance cover note. I've done two of these age related things now, my '53 G3LS and this '56 G80CS and neither of them required an MOT certificate. As they will automatically tax it for a year when they issue the V5C, you will need the insurance. Most companies will issue a 30 day cover note based on the frame number.
I sent two photographs of the complete bike... One showing the left side, one showing the right.... close up photos of the frame number and engine number and a photo of my driving licence for proof of identity and address. I also sent the dating certificate and the NOVA letter from H.M. Revenue & Customs. I sent a copy of the sales receipt as well, to show that I bought the bike in the UK and that it wasn't me that actually imported it. Plus, of course, the V55/5 form duly completed.
The V5C arrived on Monday, the rest of the documents were returned separately and arrived on Tuesday.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Appreciate the detailed reply John, very informative. I think I know what I will be doing now this weekend once I get my insurance sorted, many thanks.

Iron Head
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

I have recently registered two Triumphs. One requiring Nova and one not. I went the route of fully completing them, insuring them and obtaining an MOT exemption. However DVLA did require an SGS inspection for the reimported one. The inspection was very basic, seemed to be just to prove it really existed. There was no cost for me.
Now I am proceeding with a Mountain Cub. The Nova was remarkably easy, less than a week and they have sent the necessary numbers by email. It does seem that insurance is not required for registration. Mentioned on the auto cycle website and missing from HM government website. An Mot exemption certificate is required, but probably not if you plan not to insure and tax it yet. I am not sure the bike has to be fully complete. They seem to be concerned about major components, engine and frame and possibly gearbox. I am sure they wouldn't be concerned about cables, stand and other small parts.
To be honest I will go the route of finishing the bike (maybe not running) and insuring it before registering just to keep it all tidy.
Stan
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

There does seem to be some inconsistencies with the application procedure.
The "Guide to filling in the 'Application for first vehicle tax and registration of a used motor vehicle' (V55/5)" that's available for download from the DVLA website lists, on the last page, what 'Supporting Documents' are required. Among those documents listed are "A valid MOT Certificate (where appropriate)" and "Certificate of Insurance or cover note, valid on the day the tax comes into force."

With the application for my imported G80CS, I did send in a valid insurance cover note but I did not send an MOT certificate nor did I send in an MOT exemption certificate.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Hello John.

I'm probably over thinking things here but the V55/5 has already got me confused! For box 5. (manufacturer) do I put Matchless or AMC? You may recall that box 6. asks for make. Do I write Matchless twice for boxes 5. and 6. ?!

Any help appreciated.

Iron Head
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Iron Head wrote:Hello John.

I'm probably over thinking things here but the V55/5 has already got me confused! For box 5. (manufacturer) do I put Matchless or AMC? You may recall that box 6. asks for make. Do I write Matchless twice for boxes 5. and 6. ?!

Any help appreciated.

Iron Head
Yes the Manufacture is AMC the bike is either Matchlees or AJS.
Roy