Ht cable routing

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Steve Harding

Ht cable routing

Post by Steve Harding »

Can anyone tell me the correct route for the HT lead. I'm going back to magneto ignition and taking the electronic ignition off.
The magneto as the shield with 2 holes in

Thanks

Steve
Rob Harknett

Re: Ht cable routing

Post by Rob Harknett »

One hole may be for the A/R cable, the other the plug lead. If the holes look too big, I believe that's so a rubber grommet can be fitted, so metal does not cut in cables. Plug cap should fit with cable exit pointing to the left, not mid way towards the front, so a short cable cable touches the barrel, or long falls down on it. Mag end of lead should easily enter the mag. Plug lead route should avoid cylinder and pipe. The lead should not be too long or short to prevent this. If that all looks good you have found the best route.
Steve Harding

Post by Steve Harding »

Thanks Rob,
does it run up the front tube and come down under the tank?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mine goes forward from the mag, tightly held through a grommeted hole in the mag splash plate and around the front of the frame tube. Looking now it seems a long route but it's been O.K. like that for 25,000 miles through a lot of torrential rain ….I've never given the routeing of it much thought.
HT lead route.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Sorry but I would not like the plug lead wrapped round the down tube. I use a rubber figure of 8 type tie to secure the speedo cable to the down tube. I don't think you could go that route with a splash guard fitted. I would not run it under a tank full of petrol tank either. If water get's in and the cable is wet. It will conduct the spark running through the water on the outside of the lead. I once had a BSA A10, mag behind the engine. Carb started to catch fire on starting??? One wet night I discovered why. I saw a blue spark like morse code - - - - - - - along the outside of the lead. It set a light petrol that had dripped when flooding the carb on the plug lead.
Having said that, look how the lead is drawn on this 1953 sales cat.
Ashampoo_Snap_27 February 2020_19h14m45s_001_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

Sorry to diverge a bit. That bare connection on the sales photo took me back to my 1st bike. A hand change fanny bee. The gear lever was like a car one, straight up out if the gearbox. when you changed to top your knuckles were right next to the HT connection. If it was raining you always got at least a few shocks before you could whip it away. Strangely I put up with that all the time I had it and so did the next two owners, both school friends. We still laugh about it.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

How come you're ditching the lecky ignition; what type is it? :? :?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Mine was routed incorrectly when I purchased it (i.e. not as originally intended by the manufacturer) I know. I have to say, it the route does seem entirely sensible to me; the magneto connector is facing aft not forward so water would have a hard job entering it irrespective of shield or no shield and the cable length is such that it doesn't touch anything other than the HT cap and the Magneto connector.

What's not to like?

Alan
AJS2 Small.jpg
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Group Leader wrote:….the magneto connector is facing aft not forward
Mine faces forward (1954).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Steve Harding

Post by Steve Harding »

Thanks for the suggestion. Going back to mag so not reliant on battery. It is a thorspark I am removing