1958 30CS Exhaust

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Peter Morris

1958 30CS Exhaust

Post by Peter Morris »

Hi Guys,

Has anyone bought a new exhaust for a 1958 30/G11CS?

I bought a new exhaust from Armours and it doesn't even nearly fit. I haven't spoken to Armours yet and for that reason I am NOT slagging them off, I just would like to know what anyone that has ordered an exhaust actually ordered, so hoping that with some help, I can speak to Armours and re-order.

I ordered;
Siamese Pipe AJS/Matchless 500 / 600 CS
"Siamese Pipe set for the 1950 – 1958 CS models, pipe goes over the footrest, the motorcycle must have competition footrests, outside diameter 1-1/2″"

There are three other siamese pipe sets available, should I have ordered one of those? only one of the other sets (for a M31CS) goes over the comp footrests, which my bike has.

The exhaust that was on the bike was UNDER the footrest, which I am sure isn't right.

Thanks
Peter
g80csp11

Re: 1958 30CS Exhaust

Post by g80csp11 »

I hope the new exhaust from then this week fits better than the one i purchased in 1979
Ray said the old one had seen better days
quck trip to Russel's today for cp gerabox stuff and its back together obe i remembered what order to pout everything together
had a caht with Les , and managed to get the last geneine kickstart bush . odd because i though i had the last one in 1979 !
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

I've had exhausts from them a few times and apart from mounting bolts/nuts being different or in the wrong place, they have always fitted. The nearside pipe on the new one will only go in the exhaust port about an 1/8" before the pipe hits the frame down tube.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Just noticed the 2 exhausts they have for m31 are 1 5/8" :headbang:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

g80csp11 wrote:I hope the new exhaust from then this week fits better than the one i purchased in 1979
Ray said the old one had seen better days
By your standards Thrifty Peter, the zorst was perfectly serviceable when it came off last week...…..
Thrifty Peters 46 G80L zorst (371x384).jpg
And the rest is coming along fine, having its first spruce up since you bought it in '79...
Peters 46 G80L (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

It was easier to buy a new one than clean the old one , and i didnt say i was going to chuck it away , but store it for future use
just getting it ready for the VMCC regularity run on 5th April . the list goes on , new chains , grease in gearbox, engine sprocket . i hope its worth it
soon it will be back and running

https://motodelcurva.files.wordpress.co ... 78469c.jpg
clive

Post by clive »

I have had an exhaust from Armours for my 58 G11CS maybe 7 years ago. It fitted over the comp footrest but had a kink up and over there. This made it very difficult to fit but was just possible if the footrest was loosened. (Are the left and right hand comp rests identical when it comes to the cutout?). The short pipe had a bolt on it instead of the original bracket to front engine plate. I had to adjust the angle where the two pipes fitted. It did work with a bracket to the engine side of the head steady. I did not like the look of the kink over the footrest which clearly was not there in photos on Coopers publicity from the day.
Feked then offered to make a set of pipes if a bike was loaned. I was able to supply the bike and original corroded pipes. What finally came back fitted over the footrest neatly, had the correct bracket to the engine plate and fitted well at the join. I had to tweak the bracket to get it to line up but it was not enough movement to damage the plating. HOWEVER an Aussie member i met whilst in the Downunder Jampot bought one last year from Feked and the small pipe was at the wrong angle. Measurements were exchanged and it was clearly different to mine.
Outcome is you may need to visit before buying, with your old pipes that you know fit and check the shape.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clive

Post by clive »

Just seen your original pipes went under the footrest. I could loan my original pipes to you so you could test the fit and the use them to test against Fekeds supply. I wonder if the wrong supply to our Aussie member was because they got their patterns muddled when they moved premises. These pipes are the ones originally supplied to Feked for their pattern.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Hi Clive,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think the pipes (under footrest) that came with the bike were original, both the 1958 sales brochures show pipe over the footrest. I appreciate the pics are only drawings, but you would have thought they would have had a bike to copy/draw from, although the pipes in the brochure pics are straight.... that can't work :?

The off side pipe sort of fits, it touches the footrest, but I could adjust that, problem is with off side pipe in the port as it should be, the short pipe (once inserted into the long pipe) hits the frame down tube allowing the short pipe to only enter the exhaust port by a maximum of 1/4".

If the short pipe was 1 1/2" longer at the cylinder head end it would fit fine..... Bloody annoying but I suppose I'll have to get an 1 1/2" welded on to it, and get it chromed......... but at least i can get the fugly bolt cut off it at the same time....What's all that about?

Thanks for the offer of a borrow of your old pipes, I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards
Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

I had a set for my 1958 G11CS from Feked, the system was useless,wrong angle bracket in the wrong place when I told Feked about the problem, they answered all AJS and Matchles are rubbish
Poul
20190508_141045_1.jpg