Oil Pump Plug 042044

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
JennysJampot

Oil Pump Plug 042044

Post by JennysJampot »

Hello all,

A new US member here, deep in the throes of a G2 engine rebuild. I'm doing fairly well with parts procurement save for the oil pump plug, part 042044 which seems to have gone missing at some point along with its fixing screw (042046) and washer. Do any of you have a suggestion on where I might find one, or have one to sell, or alternatively, have one that could be measured so I could have a reproduction made? It seems to me that since it is not a wear part and every bike had one, there must be an extra out there somewhere...

I tried Russell Motors but got no response.
Steven at AMC Classic Spares has been very helpful (and prompt) but didn't have that particular part.
I have searched extensively via google and on eBay.

Would this be better posted in the "Parts Wanted" section?

Many thanks in advance from across the pond,

Michael.
Martin.S

Re: Oil Pump Plug 042044

Post by Martin.S »

You have to phone Russell Motors - old school - doesn't do computers and the one you want doesn't work all week - hopefully someone will come along to tell you when he does work.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Russell motors had them in 2005 their latest online catalog
Les only works 3 days a week , Id say Thursday is best ( Tue , Thur and Sat ) i think !
Les is a great guy , but be polite and ask nicely he is old school and a wealth of knowledge if you get on his good side

He will have a minimum order value , so have a list of a few parts you need

http://www.russellmotors.co.uk/Classic% ... CHLESS.pdf

04.2044 OIL PUMP END PLUG £ 2.50 £ 2.13 ( 15 year old price list )
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Les usually works Tues, Weds, Thurs & Sat.

Phone: 020 7228 1714
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the club and Forums, Michael.
His website says he does accept enquiries by the quaint old fax method which might be more convenient as you're in Fantasytrumpland. (How we laugh! :rofl: )
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
JennysJampot

Post by JennysJampot »

Thank you all for the advice. I will give Russell Motors another try.

Thank you SPRIDDLER for the fairly gentle ribbing. Many of us laughed as well, right up until he won the election. Which, speaking of quaint old methods, he did by somewhat less than half the votes.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

JennysJampot wrote: Thank you SPRIDDLER for the fairly gentle ribbing. Many of us laughed as well, right up until he won the election. Which, speaking of quaint old methods, he did by somewhat less than half the votes.
Thanks for being so gracious, Michael. It was only a non-political poke as if at the bar on Club night. :beer:
I don't really understand your politics but visually and verbally he does provide opportunities for a ribbing. However, we shouldn't jest as we have our own Trump lookalike now for satire and the cartoonists. ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

USA was a special paper on my History "A" level and rather like here in the UK the system is well intentioned but has flaws.

The President isn't directly elected, as I recall, because it could leave the way open for a coup d'etat based on the election. Hence the whole business of electoral colleges. The intention, as in the UK, is to provide separation between the executive, legislature and justice systems and keep them in balance.

In contrast, here in the UK we seem to have moved increasingly towards a presidential system but without the benefit of an election. Boris (or Blair) became PM without any input from the electorate apart from to elect them to their constituencies. Their role was decided by a cabal of their own respective parties.

This is entirely off topic. Michael, I wish you well with your project. I once had a 1966 14 CSR. It was a lot of fun and quicker than they're given credit for. Just ensure that you keep the gearbox fully, and I mean fully, topped up; check it often as it will not stand running low on oil. Don't just restore it, ride it.

Johnny B