Cylinder head gasket / battery

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
minajs

Post by minajs »

Hello everybody.
Question one: Could anybody tell the ignorant (me) how to see if a cylinder head gasket has blown?
Question two: I am having trouble keeping my old-style lead and acid battery charged,it discharges very rapidly when not in use. Does anybody have any experience with modern hi-tech batteries as advertised in magasines such as Old Bike Mart? Must be of smalll size so it can be hidden inside the old black rubber box. And where's the best place to get one?
Eric

Post by Eric »

Without removing the cylinder head you cant normally see that the gasket may have blown, but you should be able to hear it. Just consider that if the gasket has blown you have the equivalent of a small hole in the exhaust so the sound should be very different to normal. You will also have loss of power because the expanding gas is leaving the engine when it not supposed to.
ajaygray

Post by ajaygray »

You can normally feel the air if you put your face near the joint (not too near obviously) as it is more sensitive than your hand.

With the Batteries Burlen do the sealed type. These seem to last OK, but from what I have heard, once they go they just seem to go i.e. you end up stranded. ONe or two guys in the club swear by them though. Heres a link :-
http://www.burlen.co.uk/sidelinkSearch. ... eLinkID=10
itma

Post by itma »

excellent batteries from burlen, don`t lose their charge and pack a punch for a small battery size, be careful with polarities when fitting
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

A small head gasket leak often squeeks. I use a piece of flexible tubing to locate exhaust or head leaks but be cautious with the ear drum. The exhaust can generate strong pulses from the outlet or joints.
Before fitting sealed batteries, be sure the control unit does not overcharge. The water can be replenished in a standard cell but if the sealed variety is overcharged it will vent through a safety valve & the fluid cannot be replaced. Best to use a solid-state control.