Clutch Spider Help

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Martin.S

Clutch Spider Help

Post by Martin.S »

Hello All, I'm having a go at repairing a clutch spider. I bored out the worn splines and inserted a splined bush that I made.
I then took it to an Engineering shop to have it silver soldered in but it came back welded at just at one end. So I'll have to drill the inside and insert some pins to locate this end of the bush.
The spider has a washer fixed to the inside end of the spline to locate the clutch in the right place on the end of the gearbox main shaft. Trouble is I can't remember the dimensions of the placement of this washer - if any one has a spare spider could they measure the dimensions as in my drawing of both sides of this washer.
Would be much appreciated.
Lightweight Spider.jpg
Spider2.jpg
Spider3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G15 Roy

Re: Clutch Spider Help

Post by G15 Roy »

Did you know that the club have both types in stock.
Roy
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Oh - will they measure them for me?
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

No as they do not offer any technical advise but you could buy one to save the the time and trouble.
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The reason we commissioned them was to save members trying to salvage totally shagged critical components! If these things were simple to fix we'd not have done so!
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

This part is not totally shagged - it had a worn spline and as far as this being troublesome - no this is for me the fun side of owning these classic bikes. I have over the years spent a lot of money on building up a workshop in where I can spend my time having fun doing things just like this.
I thought my post got to the point - I asked for help with dimensions - not where I could spend what would be a fair amount of money on a new part.
I feel a little sad that Senior members here should hijack my post on this forum, making me feel shamefull for attempting to repair my parts and not buying new from the club. And I also feel that perhaps the intervention of these senior members will put off other members who might of been able to help me.
Perhaps we should all try to answer the question that is being asked.
Thank You.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Look this is a double edged sword Martin.

We get moaned at for not providing L/W owners with the critical spares they need to get the bikes on the road. Clutch spiders are one of the areas we were always being asked to remake. These bikes are low volume bikes and the investment required to get the 2 types made and in stock tied up valuable funds that could have been spent else where.

Now I think it's great that you have the ability to manufacture the bits you require however surely this is one area that your time could have been saved and focused on other areas of the rebuild. By simply buying a centre it helps the club recoup it's investment which can be then put into other L/W spares.
As an example I've just had a batch of special L/W pinion pullers manufactured as they've been unavailable for years.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

All I can say is thank you to the club for providing these spares . I have neither the time, machinery or ability to repair these types of parts so the fact that I can just buy one is a godsend . It keeps my bike moving .
However I also completely understand the satisfaction of repairing things I've recently had a small victory repairing the starter motor on my JCB plus saving a few quid .
I've noticed that posts on the forum are getting a bit tetchy , never been like this before guess we are all suffering from cabin fever ?
May I respectfully ask that everyone takes a more measured approach and think carefully before we react to another's point of view .
All the best
Cheers Chris
g5 butch

Post by g5 butch »

Hi Martin
I think I can help you, dimensions aare A 1.060" B .735" overall is 1.900" Hope this will help you out.

Cheers Wayne
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Top notch, Chris.

Johnny B