CS side stand

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

CS side stand

Post by Pharisee »

The side stand on my G80CS is exactly the same length (about 11.1/2") as the side stands on my G3 and M18. However, with the larger 21" front wheel and a WM3 rear wheel shod with a 4.00 tyre, the bike leans over at a ridiculous angle and isn't stable. The centre stand has extended feet to accommodate the difference... Is there a longer side stand that is specific to the CS models? If not, how do other CS owners cope?

John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Iron Head

Re: CS side stand

Post by Iron Head »

Hello John

Exactly the same problem with my '54 CS side stand particularly with new rubber on and it doesn't seem to be worn on the pivot point or stop or have a rotating frame lug or anything. I think I'll get an extra section welded in to the stand by a superb welder I know locally.

Iron Head
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

You sure it's not just buggered as my CS's all have standard sidestands and are ok. On Rusty the 55 Mod 20, that one was well worn and on the way back from Poland fully loaded it fell over in Holland as lent over so much. Good job I had the panniers on, saved the bike, but put a terrible crease in my underpants when I unpacked them, from the panniers, not the ones I was wearing!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

ajscomboman wrote:You sure it's not just buggered as my CS's all have standard sidestands and are ok.
Nope, it's not buggered. Very little wear in the pivot and it's as straight as the two on my other bikes. It just seems too short to cope with the extra ground clearance afforded by the bigger wheels. I may well have to get it 'extended' if I'm going to use it.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Just been and checked again, definitely 11.5" and it's fine. Same wheels etc.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

ajscomboman wrote:, but put a terrible crease in my underpants
If you had change them more often they might not have been so malleable. :rofl:
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Fully investigated my CS side stand last night and found some wear (in one 180 degree arc) on the bolt and a little on the bore of the frame lug. Tried rotating the bolt to see if it would reduce the ‘slack' to no avail. Have now fitted 3 shims made from 0.010” thick CuBe between the lug and the stand ears and all is good however I still suspect the lug may have twisted slightly giving a short stand effect.

Iron Head
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I'm sure it's not you, IH, but it makes me wince when I see folk standing on the pegs to kickstart a bike on the prop stand.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

ajscomboman wrote: but put a terrible crease in my underpants when I unpacked them, from the panniers, not the ones I was wearing!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:

My G3C has longer (Montesa) stanchions and rear units, std side stand was miles off being useable... Local Blacksmith cut it in half and welded 3" section in the middle.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Couldn't agree more Spriddler about people starting their bikes on the prop stand!

Iron Head