Gear Indicator Woes (please help a newbie)

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

I have a Model 14 CSR which came without a gear indicator. Simple, I'll fit one.

However the bolt that retains the indicator was turning merrily away but not coming out of the splined shaft which the gear change lever fits onto. I gnetly pulled it and found that it came out but was attached to a barrel of approx 1/4" diameter and one inch long. There is an 'o' ring at the other end to the indicator retaining bolt.

At the inner end it appears there should be something else as there are witness marks of something having sheared off. I suspect there should be a thread. I hope that a picture of what I have will appear below.....

[img]http://www.good-hifi.co.uk/bikepart.jpg[/img]

What I'm trying to work out is what would have been attached to this thread. I've looked at the enlarged diagrams I have of the gearbox but cannot make this out at all.

So can someone tell me what should be there, what is it for, is it critical, is it going to need fixing, what can be done if it cannot be fixed espically as the 'o'ring must be there to prevent oil loss.

AND why do people tell lies when they sell things.

Thanks
Mick
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

My knowledge of lightweights is akin to that of the surface of Mars, but studying the drawings could it be the broken off end of the 'Spindle,footchange ratchet shaft'(42146) A pronouncement like this usually brings out the people who really know lightweights

good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

I do hope so, I spoke with the Owners club spares guy and he professed to have little knowledge as lightweight gearboxes are not catered for as well as the heavyweight ones.

Nothing much lightweight about a Model 14 though!.

The helpline man is on holiday and so is the chap at AMC classic spares.

Cheers
Mick
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Would have made a good quiz picture
Chemists do it with test tubes
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Mick, Alan is quite correct in stating that it is the footchange rachet spindle. I have 2 on my shelves (that ought to tell you something about lightweight gearboxes) although it's the first one that i have seen with the end sheared off. I am willing to let you have one. If you e-mail me your details to chairman@jampot.com i'll sort it out.
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

That's really kind of you. I think you live quite close so I can collect, if you do not mind. I'll email you with my details.

Many Thanks
Mick
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I knew all that Engineering Drawing in the 1950's would be useful one day.