Model 14 restoration

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
John T

Model 14 restoration

Post by John T »

I have a 1960 model 14 which I am in the process of restoring any advice would be good. The machine is now in bits and being cleaned up for painting and rechroming. The engine has been run before the strip down. I note Good-hifi has aquired some useful info.
John T
good-hifi

Model 14 restoration

Post by good-hifi »

Hello John

Yes I have managed to get some info on these but not as much as is available I'm sure.

I have several sets of gasket sets and can help with that and I've also managed to find some copies of Classic Mechanics where a model 14 was restored over a year or so. Sadly to say they do not go into much detail.

I would be interested to know where you are having items rechromed and what results you get.

I'm trying to find CSR mudguards but no luck so far.

If you register on this website http://www.freewebs.com/ajsmatchless/ch ... rchive.htm you can get access to documents which are of use.

Cheers
Mick
John T

Model 14 restoration

Post by John T »

quote:
Hi
I would be interested to know where you are having items rechromed and what results you get.

As for rechroming I am in East Sussex, so I am looking in Kent found Swift plating in New Romney. http://www.kentmetalfinishers.co.uk/frames.asp
For the wheels I am spray painting the backplates with Hammerite smooth silver and thinking of using Southern Wheels for new chrome rims and stainless spokes. The frame I am spray painting with Hammerite smooth black. Found out that Astonish Oven and Cookware cleaner work well on polishing the wheel hubs. Thinking of using it on the Engine.Its an old tub I have in a paste form.
I have orderd some books from Bruce Main.
Managed quite well sofar with a Workshop manual 1957-1964 covers 250 and 350 models.I got it with the bike last year.
Cheers
deshollier
Deceased

Model 14 restoration

Post by deshollier »

'The Matchless and AJS - all post-war singles and twins restoration' by Roy Bacon (which is currently available on Amazon) offers a wealth of general and specific restoration information. I have certainly found it very useful. The bike and Lucas parts lists for the year from BMS are also worth their weight in gold.