G15 mk2 front brake

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
clive

G15 mk2 front brake

Post by clive »

The DVLA have finally given me the registration number I needed for my G15mk2 bought in Jan. Tonight I fitted the Dove anti-sump tap so I could fill the oil as it wet sumps like lightening. Set up the rear number plate using white electrical tape after ordering a proper number plate. Started 3rd kick so I drove down towards the garage exit and approached the gate, but next to no front brake. I had fitted new brake shoes so a bit pxssed off. Problem may be a stretched cable outer or a failure to centre the brake.
So the question is how do I centre the brake plate on the Norton front wheel?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
g80csp11

Re: G15 mk2 front brake

Post by g80csp11 »

Clive , exactly the same slacken off the brake plate retaining nut and pull brake on , then retighten . books indicate that on early brake plate you may need to open up the hole on plate slightly . my problem on the Norton brake on my G15CSR (1969) is the bearing seal sealing slightly onto the linings despite being modern sealed bearings . even though a good brake
clive

Post by clive »

Thanks. Will give it a try but i may need a new cable too.
clive
clive

Post by clive »

Slight improvement in the front brake, after adjusting as advised, meant i took it out for a ride. The rear brake needs new shoes. Anyway i think it may still have sidecar gearing. The handlebar mirror fell of. I couldn't restart for ages after stopping for petrol. The primary chain tightened up and the locking ring on one exhaust undid itself because the bracket holding the silencer is too thin I think. All fixable I hope.
clive
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

But no puntcher or AA required things are looking on the up.
Roy
clive

Post by clive »

G15 Roy wrote:But no puntcher or AA required things are looking on the up.
Yes Roy. I did have AA card and can of tyre goo with me! Did around 20 miles so all looks good once over the teething troubles.
clive