G15 mk 2 primary chaincase

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Mick D

Re: G15 mk 2 primary chaincase

Post by Mick D »

It's only a bodge if it works - otherwise it's a waste of time, effort and possibly, money. ;) :roll:

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

clive wrote:Well I got the cover off yesterday to find two of the cables had been cut through, or broken from too sharp a bend. All soldered now and off to the garage to replace. Will try silicon sealant as suggested by Jean Noel. report back later.
Duncan wrote:Unless the chaincase faces are perfect welseal is not the answer this time, unless you particularly like doing a job twice.
Bodgers are used to doing the job more than once Duncan![/
clive wrote:Well I got the cover off yesterday to find two of the cables had been cut through, or broken from too sharp a bend. All soldered now and off to the garage to replace. Will try silicon sealant as suggested by Jean Noel. report back later.
Duncan wrote:Unless the chaincase faces are perfect welseal is not the answer this time, unless you particularly like doing a job twice.
Bodgers are used to doing the job more than once Duncan!
Ok ok you were right, after fixing the wires and reconnecting them correctly the charging was resolved. Not the chaincase leak though, awaiting the correct gasket as I managed to order the single alternator one from the club :oops:
Before starting on my second attempt to seal the leak I took the bike for a short run. About a mile and a half from home the engine died. No amount of kicking or bump starting would get it running so it was a long push to the garage. Turned out a replacement pickup brush and holder sorted it out but I am not convinced that the magneto is sound as by then the mag was truly cold, even if I was not! May need to fit the spare EasyCap I purchased 7 years ago when I fitted one to my G11CS and which has never been needed.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

[quote="clive")

Ok ok you were right, after fixing the wires and reconnecting them correctly the charging was resolved. Not the chaincase leak though, awaiting the correct gasket as I managed to order the single alternator one from the club :oops:
Before starting on my second attempt to seal the leak I took the bike for a short run. About a mile and a half from home the engine died. No amount of kicking or bump starting would get it running so it was a long push to the garage. Turned out a replacement pickup brush and holder sorted it out but I am not convinced that the magneto is sound as by then the mag was truly cold, even if I was not! May need to fit the spare EasyCap I purchased 7 years ago when I fitted one to my G11CS and which has never been needed.[/quote]

Glad I'm not alone with G15 issues. Went out on the 15CSR for the first time. Filled it and fuel everywhere, coming out the tank badge screws, tank also knocking against engine. Leaks sorted and correct bits fitted to front tank mounts. Out again for second time and 35-45 noise and vibes not nice. Back home under it's own power it sits on the drive idling sweet as a nut, rev it and it's fine no undue knocks or vibes even up to 4k rpm. Looks as though I'll be diving in the alternator case to see if the rotor is working loose, especially as the ammeter needle was dancing around! This is a nice bike and starts sweet as a nut but is a turd out on the road and some of the mechanics have been less than ideal. Fingers crossed.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

ajscomboman wrote:Looks as though I'll be diving in the alternator case to see if the rotor is working loose, especially as the ammeter needle was dancing around!
Hi

A loose rotor would be unlikely to be the cause of erratic ammeter indications wouldn't it? isn't it keyed to the axle?

Regards Mick
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Before starting on my second attempt to seal the leak I took the bike for a short run. About a mile and a half from home the engine died. No amount of kicking or bump starting would get it running so it was a long push to the garage. Turned out a replacement pickup brush and holder sorted it out but I am not convinced that the magneto is sound as by then the mag was truly cold, even if I was not! May need to fit the spare EasyCap I purchased 7 years ago when I fitted one to my G11CS and which has never been needed.[/quote]

Hi Clive I am happy to fit a new armature for you under warranty. But I fear Mr Swifts problems will not be fixed under the same.
Roy
clive

Post by clive »

G15 Roy wrote:Ok ok you were right, after fixing the wires and reconnecting them correctly the charging was resolved. Not the chaincase leak though, awaiting the correct gasket as I managed to order the single alternator one from the club :oops:
Before starting on my second attempt to seal the leak I took the bike for a short run. About a mile and a half from home the engine died. No amount of kicking or bump starting would get it running so it was a long push to the garage. Turned out a replacement pickup brush and holder sorted it out but I am not convinced that the magneto is sound as by then the mag was truly cold, even if I was not! May need to fit the spare EasyCap I purchased 7 years ago when I fitted one to my G11CS and which has never been needed.
Hi Clive I am happy to fit a new armature for you under warranty. But I fear Mr Swifts problems will not be fixed under the same.[/quote]

I was not aware there was a warranty Roy. Is it like the one in our section, lifetime Guarantee? Just how many of the G15s have you been squirreling away? should have realised it might be one or two given your forum name....
clive
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Yours was one of mine as Mr Swifts was not
Roy
clive

Post by clive »

Things get less clear. The new gasket sorted the primary chaincase leak. I took the bike for a run and about 300yds from the garage i realised i had not connected up the alternators wires so stopped to do so. The bike would not restart. I took the plugs out and reduced the gap but on kicking over i could see no sign of a spark on either plug. Put the plugs back in and thought i will give it one last try and it started first kick but only on one cylinder. Then i realised i had not put the plug lead on the far side! Restarted with both cylinders firing. Very relieved as those 300 yds included both sides of quite a steep hill. Took the bike for the run but chickened out at around half the distance when it gave up the ghost last time. Got back to the garage without problem. The mag was hot and i restarted it a few times without problem. I am just beginning to wonder if it has been simply having to learn starting technic with this engine. And oh it was a good job i made it a short ride as the forks came loose as the piinch bolts on the stanchions had come loose.
clive
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

All part of the recommissioning phase with a 55 year old motorcycle , especially if someone else restored it .
My G15CSR is still not right after a year of commissioning and I restored it . when it works its my favorite bike but driven to distraction by ongoing carburation problems. going back to basics and checking camshaft timing , lift etc. today my fear is I will eventually have engine out
My P11 using the same engine and other than a few problems ( wiring loom burnt out , gearbox tooth broken , speedo shaken to bits ) has been such fun and reliable over many years and been to Italy , Germany , Poland , France , Scotland plus load of other places

It will be worth it , eventually !
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

It must be catching - my 1965 G15 Mk II won't start this morning - healthy sparks and plenty of petrol but no go, usually a first kick starter too.
I'll investigate later - might be stale petrol, I don't usually have a problem with that but this bike hasn't been out this year yet.