Blanked off breather

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Rosy

Blanked off breather

Post by Rosy »

The crankcase breather on my 53 - 350 for some reason has been capped off using the spigot nut. Before I strip the primary side to get to the breather, I'm wondering why someone in the past would have done this, it has been done for quite a long time by the look of it and the bike was being used. Would it cause any problems it I just left it as it is?
Triumph-Legend

Re: Blanked off breather

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Rosy wrote:The crankcase breather on my 53 - 350 for some reason has been capped off using the spigot nut. Before I strip the primary side to get to the breather, I'm wondering why someone in the past would have done this, it has been done for quite a long time by the look of it and the bike was being used. Would it cause any problems it I just left it as it is?
Can't think of a better way to find oil leaks or start a few new ones. :beer:
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

That explains why the engine and the rest of the bike was covered in oil!! I will get that fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It won't have caused any damage, the engine will breath through the drive side bearing and PCC. Strip the breather down and ensure it's all free to function, blocking it off may have caused things to gum up.

Regards Mick
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

[quote="Rosy"]That explains why the engine and the rest of the bike was covered in oil!! I will get that fixed.

Ah, I did not consider this being an old school form of rust prevention. I learn something new every day.
It's a shame the Japanese manufacturuers did not copy this desirable feature, many of their machines seemed to corrode away within a few years of leaving the showroom. Hence the difficulty in finding parts for the older Japanes machines and their change now to largely plastic machines.

Thinking about it, I do recall some owners of what are now classic cars, using their old engine oil as a rust preventative by brushing it onto the vehicle under body and chassis areas. A Morris Minor comes to mind. A filthy sodding car to work on due to the accumulated old oil and road dirt, but not a spot of rust to be seen. OK, the front wings rusted through around the head lights, but the under body was fine.

Why waste the valuable resource in these trying times. When tucking your bike up for winter, give it a good splosh all over with old oil to preserve its natural beauty. Note, it is not necessary to treat the seat, h/bar grips, tyres or foot peg rubbers. but everywere else is fine. Just think of the joy come springtime of giving your pride and joy a quick wash and rub down to reveal its well preserved gleaming beauty.
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

I used to use old engine oil mixed with a bit of paraffin on the shed and fence as a preserver, it must have worked ok because my neighbour has the shed now and it must be 35yrs old, not sure about the fence that was my last house. I eventually got the breather out having to modify a plug socket, as the breather is recessed so much, cleaned it up and it seem to breath when turning the engine.