Clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
waddoups

Clutch

Post by waddoups »

Does anybody have a exploded diagram of an AMC clutch as fitted to the 350 model 16, registered in 1967. My clutch is made up of three fibre plates, three metal plates and one mixed metal and fibre plate. I am having problems when tightening the clutch centre up, if I tighten the centre nut to tight I cannot turn the clutch , am I missing a spacer or something. Any help appreciated.
g80csp11

Re: Clutch

Post by g80csp11 »

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG
AMC clutch . if the inner spider is worn excessively it will bind on the gearbox when torqued up .
has it ever worked or are you assembling for the first time ?

350 and 500 usually have different number of friction plates , less on 350

3 double sided friction plates
1 single sided friction plate
3 steel plates
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
waddoups

Post by waddoups »

Thank you for your reply, the pictures are of great help. The clutch did work but was very loose on the shaft, even though the nut was tight. I have had trouble setting it up properly and the clutch only bites at the very end of the travel. Will inspect the splines and replace if needed. Thanks for your help.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The problem stems from folk over torqueing the centre nut and damaging the shoulder in the centre and allowing the centre to slide onto the main shaft too far and interfere with the sleeve gear.
Centre Overtorquing.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
waddoups

Post by waddoups »

Thanks Mick. What is the torque setting for the centre nut please.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

As far as I am aware there is no published torque figure for the clutch centre nut. I use a new lock washer at each assembly and torque the nut to about 30 ft lbs, (I don't use thread locker here but you may wish to as a 'belt and braces' solution).

If you have any play between the splines of the centre and main shaft it helps to take up the slack in the normal direction of rotation before you torque the nut.

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I use a Nord-Lock serrated, two piece lock washer under the nut on my AMC clutch.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORD-LOCK-WA ... 4039619155
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Pharisee wrote:I use a Nord-Lock serrated, two piece lock washer under the nut on my AMC clutch.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORD-LOCK-WA ... 4039619155
I'd not come across those before, Pharisee. Thanks for flagging them up.
Steve
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Ive found a range of torque figures for the clutch center nut mentioned in forums 30 - 70 ft-lb and believe most damage is caused by the clutch coming loose not over tightening
The Norton factory manual torque setting is 70ft/lb, however, the consensus is that this torque setting is too high
Personally I have always used 65ft-lb and never had the clutch come loose or damage to the clutch
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I had this loose clutch problem a few times in the early days and once in the middle of the afternoon of the Beamish Reliabiliity Trial!

I resorted to a strong spring washer, careful cleaning, use of loctite and firm tightening; no torque wrench available but I was using the spark plug spanner.

It's been OK since. However, the AMC is to come out for refurb and the refurb'd B52 to go in.

Johnny B