Yet another question 1965 csr

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
clanger9

Re: Yet another question 1965 csr

Post by clanger9 »

...and here's an excellent photo from the Club's very own archive. This one has a cigar silencer and a normal, curved downpipe. It also has the bigger mudguards. So, maybe 1965? Silver barrel, so definitely a later one.
img-3-043.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by clanger9 on Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Ah, this is the photo I was looking for. From the Ken Jones collection. D reg CSR, so 1966 model year.
img-1-031.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
KRM

Post by KRM »

Agreed. This is the picture I need. The pipes have that straight profile where as mine is curved.
The pipe was an “I've also got this “ addition when I got the bike. It's def a late CSR with coil springs and registered in may 67.

Good. That saves me getting the chrome done on it at least.

Many thanks
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Finding Alloy guards that are the right radius won't be that easy either!
ColourNcoat

Post by ColourNcoat »

Thank you all for the searching and pictures uploaded.
I am thinking of making one (similar) in stainless steel. Just a thought as it is seamed both sides.
Once again all is appreciated just the mudguards now lol
Last edited by ColourNcoat on Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WiltshireMike

Post by WiltshireMike »

If it helps I'd also be up for a cigar silencer for my '66 reg G2CSR; the original is moderately dented but good chrome and has the non-swept downpipe. Peering down the silencer there are no baffles and the downpipe appears to have a pepper-pot end. Engine (#14216) is coil valve springs with bronze exhaust seat for info.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

You'll not find any silencers off the shelf for this model but if enough people want one why doesn't someone contact Armours to find what the minimum quantity requirement is and get some prices.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Clanger's pic is how my 1966 CSR exhaust looked, and most of the rest of the machine except that the mudguards had been replaced with aluminium ones. However, it did not have coil valve springs. I found this out after the head dropped off the exhaust valve and damaged the new 10.5:1 (I think) piston but not the barrel which had been rebored to suit.

It was really sweet to ride and had more grunt than they're credited with and coped well two up.

Good luck with it.

Johnny B

PS Now read the whole thread and maybe the 'guards were right!
ColourNcoat

Post by ColourNcoat »

56G80S wrote:Clanger's pic is how my 1966 CSR exhaust looked, and most of the rest of the machine except that the mudguards had been replaced with aluminium ones. However, it did not have coil valve springs. I found this out after the head dropped off the exhaust valve and damaged the new 10.5:1 (I think) piston but not the barrel which had been rebored to suit.

It was really sweet to ride and had more grunt than they're credited with and coped well two up.

Good luck with it.

Johnny B

PS Now read the whole thread and maybe the 'guards were right!
The bike sounds really nice from what you have said.Its got to be more comfortable than my sports bike.
All the information I've read says it had chrome mudguards?
Anyway more reading on the clutch tonight lol.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Coil valve springs perish the thought . What will they think of next :D