G2CSR Oil pump plunger

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
ColourNcoat

G2CSR Oil pump plunger

Post by ColourNcoat »

On closer observation I can see the oil pump plunger is worn on the (worm drive ). Correct me if I'm wrong.
Can anyone advise where I can get this item please ?
I also see the crank shaft bush pump side is out of stock.
I'm obviously not the only one having problems acquiring parts. The bush I can probably make if push comes to shove. Thanks in advance and hope I don't offend by asking so many questions :beer:
clanger9

Re: G2CSR Oil pump plunger

Post by clanger9 »

The late CSR plunger has a slightly longer stroke and gives significantly more flow (+38% by my reckoning). It isn't available new as far as I know. I have a new, standard G2 plunger here - will send you a PM.

If you can get through to Les at Russell's, he might be able to find you a new one...

PS: don't worry about asking questions. That's what this forum is for!
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
ColourNcoat

Post by ColourNcoat »

clanger9 wrote:The late CSR plunger has a slightly longer stroke and gives significantly more flow (+38% by my reckoning). It isn't available new as far as I know. I have a new, standard G2 plunger here - will send you a PM.

If you can get through to Les at Russell's, he might be able to find you a new one...

PS: don't worry about asking questions. That's what this forum is for!
Is there any chance you can send pictures of them side by side or a link to the different ones.
Because I don't know what work has been carried out on this engine? :headbang: :beer:
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

The standard pump has a stroke of 3.24mm.
The late CSR pump has a stroke of 4.48mm.
All other dimensions identical.

The look virtually the same - there is sometimes a stamping on the end, but I'm not sure how to easily tell one from the other...

Given that the high capacity pump is unavailable, I wouldn't fret too much about fitting a standard pump. I've not heard of that causing any issues.
Flat out, the high capacity pump delivers a (theoretical) 624cc/min, compared to 442cc/min for the standard one. So, a pint per minute, give or take.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

042104 oil pump al L/W's in stock at the parts service. they were booked in by the staff 2019 and not made active! :headbang: :headbang: I've just done it now so available to buy.
ColourNcoat

Post by ColourNcoat »

ajscomboman wrote:042104 oil pump al L/W's in stock at the parts service. they were booked in by the staff 2019 and not made active! :headbang: :headbang: I've just done it now so available to buy.
Thank you for letting me know but have just obtained one from a member.
The more I delve into this motorcycle the more the list is ever growing.
It's no wonder the bike was left and sold on.
Regards Roger. :beer: