mystery miss

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
SPRIDDLER

Re: mystery miss

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've posted this before but obviously NGK found it necessary to issue this guide to identifying fake NGK plugs:
NGK fake plugs (640x398).jpg
Which reminds me ........
I bought a 1947 one owner Model 18 that hadn't run for 25 years. I recommissioned it and replaced the 'worn out' KLG FE80 plug with a nice new NGK. It was the devil of a job to start it. I changed it for a new Champion but still I knackered myself trying to start it. Lost for options and without touching anything else I put the worn out FE80 back in. It started easily and ran beautifully thereafter. Not at all scientific and I can't explain why it 'liked' the FE80 but it certainly did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Great post, Sprid.

Johnny B
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

Just to complete the thread.
I tried the suggestions and did eventually solve the mystery. First was to stop the leak from the fiber washer between the jet holder and the carb. body (couldn't get a seal with washers so used O-ring). The needle was on the second from bottom notch, it had run perfectly for the last 10 years on that setting. I returned it to the middle notch. Finally fitted a Champion N5C and the miss was gone. Thanks again for the suggestions.