General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Mick D

Re: New member

Post by Mick D »

Hi

AMC full width hubs are the easiest I've built - all of the spokes are the same and there is no bend which makes lacing a doddle.

Note, the spokes and nipples on competition models are 8G rather than the 10G of the road models.

Regards Mick
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

steven bell wrote:Hi all, I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Steven bell and I live in Ottawa Canada. I am not new to british bikes but new to Matchless. Last year I picked up a 1955 matchless g80cs not sure why :headbang: Engine number is 55G80s2062c and the frame number is 5822c I was told the numbers belonged together. I am almost finished a 1958 fanny B m83 trials bike. It's too cold to keep working on that - 10 this morning so I thought I would sneak some matchless parts into the basement and start on it.
Cheers
Steven
Welcome aboard Steven. I joined two years ago and haven't got a bad word to say about the club. I sourced all the parts I needed through the club members and the links to the club. Plus a daily scouring of eBay.

The hundreds of years of knowledge between the members are far more useful than a workshop manual!

Merry Christmas. I'm a bit jealous of you having a cellar! :D
steven bell

Post by steven bell »

Hi
A bit jealous I have a cellar. I am a bit jealous of you guys not having 6 mouths of winter. :rofl: Merry Christmas to everyone hope next year is a hell of a lot better than this one.
Cheers everyone
steven bell

Post by steven bell »

Would there be someone in the club making replacement parts for a Speedo drive? On the outside there should be a pcs that reduces the main speedo case hole down to the spindle size. Also if I am not mistaken there should be on the inside on top of the drive gear a flat washer and then the rubber O ring that sits in the outer deep washer. I am missing the flat washer 2.5 of and 2”Id.
Cheers
Steven
steven bell

Post by steven bell »

Well first screw up. OK SECOND
when I took the spindle out of the rear wheel and pressed the bearings off I forgot to take a measurement of the bearings on the spindle. I will be making a new spindle out of 5/8 stainless steel round stock so hopefully I will never have to cut the spacers again. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

steven bell wrote:I will be making a new spindle out of 5/8 stainless steel round stock
Hi

If you are making a spindle to the original design the bearing inner races are the spindle and as such need to be case hardened, not something I've seen done with stainless steel. Free cutting stainless is not the best choice for a wheel spindle either.

Regards Mick
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The bearings are seperate on the rear wheel so I think he'd be OK with the 5/8" stainless steel. It's the front spindle that forms part of the bearing.
Dave.
steven bell

Post by steven bell »

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking over night is this not supposed to be a quick release spindle ? If so should the bearings not slide on the shaft and not pressed on?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

dave16mct wrote:The bearings are seperate on the rear wheel so I think he'd be OK with the 5/8" stainless steel.
Very true - mental note to self - think before you type :oops: :oops:
steven bell

Post by steven bell »

Is there anyone in the UK that makes aluminum Fenders for matchless? I would like t keep the bike as original as possible so I will keep the back fender as it is in pretty good shape but the bike never came with a front one.
Cheers