Drive side axle and oil pump 1956 G80S

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

Drive side axle and oil pump 1956 G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Photos no resized from better definition ones thanks to Spriddler. I put the remarks below into another thread and realised I was hijacking so here it is:

"Engine now out of frame as well as the AMC gearbox.

I'll speak with Alpha Bearings w/c 04 January about getting work done as they did the bottom end last time, back in the 1970's.I'm confident that the barrel / piston is too badly damaged to be managed by a rebore and new piston. T&L relined the barrel only a couple of years ago and there were a couple of hiccups. I'm tempted to save carriage and send all to Alpha.

I now find that the drive side axle splines are worn and when the weather picks up I'll post a photo or two for an opinion on what's what. Setting aside the pandemic, when all's back together (but with the Burman box back in as there's some work to do on the AMC) I anticipate covering plenty of miles. I don't want to change things for the sake of it but wold feel a fool to have the pin and timing side done and then find the drive side lets me down. On the other hand, new parts may not be of the same quality as the old parts.

Looking forward to a better 2021 for us all."

Welcome comments on the axle spline wear and the oil pump plunger. Will follow up with pump bore in the case in another post. I've only used the thumbnails from the 'phone to eliminate re-sizing, so quality not the best.
Drive side axle (640x277).jpg
Drive side axle. Ruler (640x418).jpg
Oil plunger. Splines close. (402x560).jpg
Johnny B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 56G80S on Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
56G80S

Re: Drive side axle and oil pump 1056 G80S

Post by 56G80S »

And some other photos:
Oil plunger. Splines fuzzy (640x468).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 56G80S on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

John. The parts look as they may be reusable but the pics (esp the axle ones) are too small and the resolution isn't good enough to offer any worthwhile opinion.
I've PM'd you my email address so if you take some larger (higher resolution) photos I'll resize them and send them back for you to post them.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Hi Sprid thanks and got your PM and will send pics later.

Happy NewYear.

Johnny B
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Now changed the first set of photos, thanks to Spriddler resizing for me.

Johnny B
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

The drive side splines remind me of my old gran`s mangle, circ. 1850!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
clive

Post by clive »

I estimate that wear on the drive spline to be 2/3. There will be similar wear on the cam resulting in knocking on acceleration and a tendency to faster wear. If you can get the spline it makes sense to replace it. I broke one which was worn to about the same point but it was pulling a loaded double adult sidecar at the time. You will need to replace the cam too if you replace the spline.
Wear on the oil pump does not look too bad and this is not under stress so I would be happy to reuse it but what is the wear like on the drive spline? If you are replacing that I would try to get the best pump you can and not start with a worn one.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

HI Clive

Thanks for the advice and information.

When I split the cases I'll get a look at the timing side shaft and the worm gear. Probably more worried about the bore for the pump.

It's snowing heavily here and not going to the lock up!

HNY

JohnnyB
56G80S

Re: Drive side axle and oil pump 1956 G80S

Post by 56G80S »

G80S_t_side_ca;lcs.jpg
timing_axle measure 220121.jpg
Update. Have now split the crankcases, feet kept warm by running the genny with fan heater pinched from daughter's bedroom.

I took photos of the timing side axle but not very enlightening. There are clear signs of scuffing round the bearing surfaces but the worm gear looks immaculate. Sod's law that Mum's micrometers are a size too small and a size too large but the vernier seems to be working better.

The photos are my chalk notes and a spreadsheet. I tried to measure twice, at 90 degree angle and do the inner part and the outer part. This was very difficult inside the crankcase as the vernier didn't fit! Hence the odd results but I think it's clear shaft and bush are s--gg-d.

More positively, I re-examined the cylinder and after cleaning up the scoring looks like it might be remedied by a re-bore. Such a short time with a standard bore after re-lining.

I can feel no play at all in the drive side bearings which have been in since I acquired the Matchless in the mid 1970's. Same for the conrod on the big end. The latter will rock, by which I mean pivot with the pin as the fulcrum. There is absolutely no up and down though. I'll give them a rinse in paraffin and try them again before making any decision as the SAE oil is pretty thick and could easily mask any play. It's a tough call.

Does look like off to Alpha for bush and two axles at the very least.

Johnny B
56G80S

Re: Drive side axle and oil pump 1956 G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Response from Alpha:

"John We only work on crankshafts , not cases
Sounds like you had damn good value out of your 40 yr old Alpha big-end.
We can sort the shafts / big-end out if you wish. We have o/size , un-ground
pins if needed.
Need to have a look , can discuss the job prior to starting.
Any queries , give us a buzz T : 01384 253030 - left this in as it's in the public arena anyway -
Yours, CW"

My concern is that the oil pump bore in the crankcase could be damaged.

Johnny B