Dismantling G12 front forks

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Suffolk

Dismantling G12 front forks

Post by Suffolk »

1CC10A46-A77D-4683-930A-307BB3B8ABC0.jpeg
Hi
I am stripping down the front forks off my 1962 650 CSR and my question is how do I separate the bottom slider from the fork stanchion tube
I have removed the bolt from the centre of the bottom slider and as much as I pull it ain't coming apart :headbang: so what do I need to do
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Re: Dismantling G12 front forks

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you compress the leg and then rapidly pull it to it's full extent a few times the oil seal and bush should be forced out of the slider, if this fails you can make a pusher out of threaded rod, a search will turn up the details.

I find it easier to grip the stachion in a vice and pull the slider.

Regards Mick
Suffolk

Post by Suffolk »

Hi Mick
Thanks for your reply, I'll look up that up but meanwhile I'll keep tugging
Richard
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you don't succeed I think this thread has all the info re the pusher method.

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ork+pusher

When you're extending the stanchion, make sure you have the drain screw and top cap removed ;)

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I assume that you have heated up the allot slider to expand it and loosen the grip on the oil seal and top bush. If not it's worth doing and wearing welding gloves or wrapping the slider with towels grip the stanchion in a vice with soft jaws nice and tight tug good and hard on the hot slider and hopefully it'll pull off. I've had experience with seriously tight bushes before which would not budge. I then resorted to a special puller and started to pull. The bloody thing went off like a gun! Good job my fingers were nowhere near as it'd have been extremely painful!
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Some come apart fairly easily, some are very difficult. If you are using the tugging technique, you need to remember you have to overcome the buffer spring whilst tugging.

Its good exercise and in my mind the best , first option
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

somebody need to post a utube video of the fork separation workout.Its difficult to explain the efforts involved
Suffolk

Post by Suffolk »

Hi
Thanks for all your reply's, I've since gone back into the garage give it a few verbals and a few more tugs and what do yer know it's come apart, let's hope the other will
Richard
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

I have several times used a tube that was a decent fit to the slider diameter without interfering with the bush. In my case this was a thick walled plastic tube. Length was enough to extend beyond the staunchion a few inches. I used my staunchion puller through a plate on the top of the tube. Tensioned it up until the rebound spring was compressed and a bit more. Then put it in the vice and heated the slider around the bearing area. It pops out quite safely. Just another of many ways I guess. I didn't like the violent tugging method as I have suffered in the past in my elbows and shoulders.
Stan
bitza

Post by bitza »

Have a read in this months jampot mag some great info on stripping front forks .