Enquiry

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
G15 Roy

Enquiry

Post by G15 Roy »

He we go can anyone have a guess and answer the questions

Dear Jampot, I have a 1957 AJS 16MS, all I have is the frame, engine and engine brackets to frame. I'm doing it as a cross country event type machine.
Three questions,
is it possible to get everything I need to build it?
Could you get the bits for me?
And could you give me A rough idea of the cost?
Roy
clive

Re: Enquiry

Post by clive »

yes, no, more than its worth
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

With (I assume from the wording and nature/naivete of the questions) so little knowledge the best bet IMHO is to sell the engine and frame and put the proceeds (perhaps about £500 ?) towards a complete bike that he/she can customise in 'cross country' (?) style. I think our own Klattering Classics have a couple which would probably be the less costly and quickest way to go.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It could be possible to get all the bits "eventually, " at a cost of much more than you could buy an almost complete machine for.
Plus you would have to do a lot of leg work finding the bits. It would be impossible you estimate a cost, as you may have to buy bits you want along with bits you do not want
les ward

Post by les ward »

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Blank cheque time.
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

I bought virtually that as my Thunderbird. It turned out that the frame was a T100, the engine only was Thunderbird. So I had to source the parts for two bikes. Actually three as I also bought a rolling chassis for a rigid Matchless. It took me eight years, lots of hugely enjoyable trips to jumbles, learning to spray and all sorts of other adventures. By the time they were finished I was too decrepit to ride them. All gone now, and since then I have had years of getting rid of the leftovers. Can only do it for a month at a time as I feel I am working for eBay.
Unless this guy is as crazy as me I strongly recommend he sells it.
Stan
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Totally feasible. I've just completed the third AJS/Matchless built from assembled parts (or totally original if DVLA are reading this). First started with a complete engine only. Second a frame only and third ....... a barrel only. I burn the receipts for fear of adding them up and realising just how much each bike cost. The first bike I built with my Dad as a once a week 'get together' project, and the other two on my own (an addiction had formed by then). I really enjoy finding the parts cleaning them up and re-assembling. This last one has been built during lockdown to keep me (vaguely) sane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

This enquiry came into spares and I have been in contact advising the guy to do pretty much what has been mentioned already.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

ajscomboman wrote:This enquiry came into spares and I have been in contact and given him my number :lol: :lol: advising the guy to do pretty much what has been mentioned already.
Roy