Forks Seized?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Iain_NCL

Forks Seized?

Post by Iain_NCL »

Hello

I have just had delivered a Matchless G2 - my first classic bike. I think I've figured out most things after some learning experiences, but the front forks are a puzzle. There doesn't seem to be any movement in them at all and I don't think they match either of the two fork type illustrations in the owner's manual. As such does anyone recognize these forks and know how I might go about getting them unseized?

A couple of other hopefully easy questions, if I may.
  • Although the bike was sold as a G2, the engine/frame numbers are non matching and the engine has CSR next to the number - presumably it is a CSR engine?
  • The main fuel tap weeps a bit, not significantly but the tap is always wet with fuel after leaving it for a bit (tap off) - what would I need to replace to cure this?

clanger9

Re: Forks Seized?

Post by clanger9 »

That front brake is definitely not AJS. Japanese, maybe?
I don't think Lightweights ever had matching frame/engine numbers.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Iain_NCL

Post by Iain_NCL »

clanger9 wrote:That front brake is definitely not AJS. Japanese, maybe?
I don't think Lightweights ever had matching frame/engine numbers.
Ah thanks, that figures. I just went through the bike's paperwork again and "Suzuki 500 TLS" is scrawled on an old AMOC a parts catalog - some googling suggests that is a Suzuki twin leading shoe brake which looks to be it.
bitza

Post by bitza »

The fuel tap on your machine is a taper fit, on the end opposite the lever there could a tiny spring, a washer , and a tiny split pin, over time the taper wears and causes leaks, I would fit a new push on push off type.
clive

Post by clive »

Iain_NCL wrote: Ah thanks, that figures. I just went through the bike's paperwork again and "Suzuki 500 TLS" is scrawled on an old AMOC a parts catalog - some googling suggests that is a Suzuki twin leading shoe brake which looks to be it.
Yes suzuki t500 from about 1974 twin leading shoe. Much more effective than tha AMC brake. I have one fitted to my heavyweight model 18.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Iain_NCL

Post by Iain_NCL »

bitza wrote:The fuel tap on your machine is a taper fit, on the end opposite the lever there could a tiny spring, a washer , and a tiny split pin, over time the taper wears and causes leaks, I would fit a new push on push off type.
That makes sense, thank you - I'll replace it, the reserve tap already seems to have the push type.

clive wrote:Yes suzuki t500 from about 1974 twin leading shoe. Much more effective than tha AMC brake. I have one fitted to my heavyweight model 18.
Ah great and thanks for confirming - it does seem to work better than I might have expected for a cable drum brake. Shame about the forks though!
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Iain_NCL wrote:As such does anyone recognize these forks and know how I might go about getting them unseized?
Hi

Forks, in general, are all pretty standard in the way they function. I'd remove them from the bike, take off the gaiters and post a couple of photos here asking for identification, I'm sure someone will know. Once identified you'll be able to find maintenance instructions for them and be able to strip and repair then.

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

The brake steady is a pretty neat fit to what appears to be a bracket on the fork leg. I wonder if they are actually also off the 500T Suzuki. To fit mine to my bike someone has ally welded the slot and put a threaded hole in it to allow it to bolt to a specially made brake arm. This is then fitted to standard 50s AMC heavyweight teledraulics. The spindle is the correct diameter for the end cap one and and fitted with a shim round it at the other end.

quick check of photos of the Suzuki suggest it had mudguard stay half way up the slider and not down near the spindle.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Iain_NCL

Post by Iain_NCL »

Mick D wrote: Hi

Forks, in general, are all pretty standard in the way they function. I'd remove them from the bike, take off the gaiters and post a couple of photos here asking for identification, I'm sure someone will know. Once identified you'll be able to find maintenance instructions for them and be able to strip and repair then.

Regards Mick
Thanks Mick. I've made a start and gotten to the point where I can have a better look - a couple more pictures with the gaiters off. The bottom tubes seem to turn easily enough on the stanchions but still can't get any vertical movement.

clive wrote:I wonder if they are actually also off the 500T Suzuki
Definitely some similarities but some differences too might be on the right track.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

They look like BSA ones to me.