Registration question from a new owner

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
martinbuilt AJS

Registration question from a new owner

Post by martinbuilt AJS »

Hello.
I'm attempting to salvage someone else's project bike.
Here in the states, getting a bike like this titled is a headache.
When they are registered in the UK, does the paperwork show the frame number, or the number on the motor?
('51 ajs 18, more or less)

I have a '46 C11, and ran into trouble because the frames at that time were all stamped "C10".
I've tried in vain to explain that the #'s didn't match when it was new.
Rob Harknett

Re: Registration question from a new owner

Post by Rob Harknett »

46 C11 frames were not stamped C10. 46 C11 frame numbers are prefixed XC10G-101 upwards, (1947 XC10T ) Engine numbers XC11 - 101 upwards. ( 1947 XC11 -Start number unknown. ) 10 was within the frame number prefix up to 1954. The frame number pre fix code will tell year and model of the frame.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

martinbuilt AJS wrote: When they are registered in the UK, does the paperwork show the frame number, or the number on the motor?
('51 ajs 18, more or less)
I take it that you are looking to register a 1951 AJS Model 18.

The frame and engine number are both recorded. Have a look at the club dating service in the link below.
(Note that 'DVLA' is the U.K. gov't licensing dep't).

http://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp

Here's where you'll find the frame number:
framenumbers.jpg
Good luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Contact the club dating office to date your AJS.
It may be worth while to join our club, you will almost save your joining fee by paying members rate fee to certify the date of your AJS
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote:Contact the club dating office to date your AJS.
It may be worth while to join our club, you will almost save your joining fee by paying members rate fee to certify the date of your AJS
Rob. Martin shows as a member on my screen.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
martinbuilt AJS

Rob Harknett wrote:46 C11 frames were not stamped C10. 46 C11 frame numbers are prefixed XC10G-101 upwards, (1947 XC10T ) Engine numbers XC11 - 101 upwards. ( 1947 XC11 -Start number unknown. ) 10 was within the frame number prefix up to 1954. The frame number pre fix code will tell year and model of the frame.
I didn't do a great job of describing it, but this is exactly what caused the issue with the state.
Xc10 on the frame, and xc11 on the cases. The numbers are completely different.

I'll have to look again at the frame #'s on my new bike.
The cases are '51, but the frame # falls into the '50 range, unless i read it wrong.
Might be a bitsa.

Thanks for the replies.
I joined last week, after buying a stack of 10yr old Jampot magazines on eBay. There's a ton of good info in them.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:Contact the club dating office to date your AJS.
Ah... perhaps Martin has only very recently shown up as a member Neville, I am sure when I made the comment he did not appear to be a member. He is now.

Martin, I recently scanned over 600 Jampot magazines, from 1954 to 2004. Its a bit more than the bundle you brought and enjoyed reading.
As a member you can access all the PDF files of the magazines here. http://www.jampot.com/C_MagsArchiveList.asp
clive

Post by clive »

Rob Harknett wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote:
Ah... perhaps Martin has only very recently shown up as a member Neville, I am sure when I made the comment he did not appear to be a member. He is now.
That membership application was well timed then, only 4 minutes between the two comments. :rofl:

Welcome to the club Martin. I would follow the advice on getting a dating certificate from the club which come from the original factory records. It should say when the frame was issued, who tested it and which dealer it was shipped to. If your engine number is the same as that issued with the bike this will also be confirmed.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

martinbuilt AJS wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:46 C11 frames were not stamped C10. 46 C11 frame numbers are prefixed XC10G-101 upwards, (1947 XC10T ) Engine numbers XC11 - 101 upwards. ( 1947 XC11 -Start number unknown. ) 10 was within the frame number prefix up to 1954. The frame number pre fix code will tell year and model of the frame.
I didn't do a great job of describing it, but this is exactly what caused the issue with the state.
Xc10 on the frame, and xc11 on the cases. The numbers are completely different.

I'll have to look again at the frame #'s on my new bike.
The cases are '51, but the frame # falls into the '50 range, unless i read it wrong.
Might be a bitsa.

Thanks for the replies.
I joined last week, after buying a stack of 10yr old Jampot magazines on eBay. There's a ton of good info in them.
You must remember the model year starts September 1st to Aug 31st. So it you are looking at a list from Sept 1950, that would be a 51 model , so the engine would be stamped 1951. The bike may have been register late 1950, but be a 1951 model.
martinbuilt AJS

Excellent advice.
It appears that my frame number does fall withing the '51 model year, there's a possibility this pile of boxes were once a bike.
I will check out the DVLA/machine dating service today.
Which option do i want?
It certainly isn't "road-worthy"...