New Member & Bike

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Harleyboy

New Member & Bike

Post by Harleyboy »

Hello - I've just entered the world of classic/historic bikes. I've purchased a AJS 16MS 1955 model which will need some work; actually being delivered tomorrow. It runs but leaks (oil), I have been trolling the internet looking for various sites etc. so as to get as much info as possible. I feel I'm competent mechanic and can cover most basics although I would like a manual for reference and what are some of the basics to check first. Look forward over time to update you with my exploits and no doubt source knowledge from those of you much more in the know than i.
Regards
uktom77

Re: New Member & Bike

Post by uktom77 »

Welcome to the addictive world of AJS Matchless!

http://www.archives.jampot.dk start your journey here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

The owners instruction manual is surprisingly informative, especially alongside a parts list and a copy of F.Neills book (all available in that link)

http://www.archives.jampot.dk

g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

and if you have not joined the club do , unlimited access to the experts who have been through your journey already
steven bell

Post by steven bell »

Welcome to the world of ajs matchless I am also new to matchless. I think the best thing I did was join the club. I have done a few british bikes 44Norton 67 BSA lightning 31 Ariel LF 250 40 Ariel wng 70 Bonnie 58 fannyB m83 but these are way over built and I am sure I will de picking the brains of the members. Again welcome
Cheers
Steven
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

uktom77 wrote:The owners instruction manual is surprisingly informative, especially alongside a parts list and a copy of F.Neills book (all available in that link)

http://www.archives.jampot.dk

Owners Manuals of the day were more like workshop manuals, and were actually useful. Modern ones have pages of health & safety, and helpful warnings, like Don't Drink The Battery Acid.

Malc
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

[quote="Harleyboy"]Hello - I've just entered the world of classic/historic bikes. I've purchased a AJS 16MS 1955 model which will need some work; actually being delivered tomorrow. It runs but leaks (oil),/quote]

Not leaking oil is just showing off! Welcome to the wonderful world of oily boot.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Harleyboy

Post by Harleyboy »

Thank you all for the welcome/response. Bike arrived 15/1 and is now secured in garage after some re-jigging (lucky to have 3 steads now) other half not overly impressed but give it time (fingers crossed).
Good news came with owners manual someone purchased it in 1976 for £3.75; I'm owner no.5 and it's done just over 64K according to speedo. It starts and runs which is a bonus and it's complete although tatty; so plan to check over the brakes etc. first then once out of lock down do some small/short runs to see what needs to be done and start a list.

One question do you use a Fuel Additive as Leaded fuels no longer available; I've read a comment from Andy Tiernan saying not really need?

Yes I will be joining the club will need support as I've been advised 1955 was a transition year where bikes were upgraded/changed like front brake full width drum which I have (me thinks).

Cheers be safe and look forward to meeting some of you COVID permitting in the future.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Harleyboy wrote:do you use a Fuel Additive as Leaded fuels no longer available
Hi

This and most other things have been discussed here quite a lot - always good to check out the search facility - magnifying glass icon top right ;)

Regards Mick