Lucas Stator Identification

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Mick D

Lucas Stator Identification

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm trying to identify the part number of a Lucas alternator stator - there's nothing physically on the assembly :(

It's a three wire potted assembly with 'LUCAS' impressed into the potting, it's ID is 76mm and OD 127mm and has 19 laminations.

Any pointers?

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Re: Lucas Stator Identification

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Ele ... C_1959.pdf
Would one of these of the correct year for your bike help ?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Rob

But I know what I should have, (47162A), looking to identify what I actually have ;)

Regards Mick
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

If there are no numbers on the stator I don't think you can positively I.D it as they all have the same colours on the wires. You can tell if it's 3 phase by counting the pole pieces - 6 for single phase, 9 for 3 phase. You can test the output with a multimeter when the engine's running which will tell you if its low or high output. Which bike is it for?
Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Dave

That's narrowed it down a bit more, I have six poles.

Reading James Smith and the Lucas documentation in the archive it seems that power output was governed by the number of laminations on the rotor and stator and whilst I can find info on the number of laminations of the later assemblies, (none of which match mine), I can't find that detail for the RM13, 14 and 15.

It's for a G15 CSR I bought as an abandoned project - I'm trying to ensure I have the correct alternator assembly which is proving fun as I appear to have a later design 74mm rotor, (straight sides :? ), so I either need one with one side recessed or to re-jig the retaining hardware to suit.

Regards Mick
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

On my 64 G12CSR (12 V) I had an RM 19, 74 mm, 6 coils = 2 + 4, number 47 162 A 11 63. I think it was the same on the G15. I swaped it for a Lucas 3 phases, 175 w, and an A Reg 3.