Prop stand spring location on right frame rail

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
whitebrian

Prop stand spring location on right frame rail

Post by whitebrian »

Frame leg_2.jpg
Frame leg_1.jpg
Hello

I have a 1955 16MS and I am trying to find where the prop stand spring fits into the right hand frame tube. When I first restored the bike many years ago I didn't realise that the holes in the rail were for the spring and had the holes welded up before powder coating them!

Now I have the bike stripped down I would like to drill the holes back where they should be, so if any one can give me an exact measurement from the centre of the footrest lug, and perhaps a picture too, it would be greatly appreciated.

I know that the hole should be somewhere between the footrest lug and the flattened lug at the right hand end in my image.

Thank you - Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
REW

Re: Prop stand spring location on right frame rail

Post by REW »

You may wish to drill holes (for authenticity?) but you don't need to if you are happy for the prop stand to remain deployed when you raise the bike off it once astride. Make a small (3 to 4cm by 1.5cm) plate with a small hole near one end and a washer sized hole at the other and mount it under the nut holding the flattened end of your frame rail to the down tube. Hook the prop spring into the small hole and you are done. Works for many of us.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

whitebrian

Post by whitebrian »

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I was sent an image of where the holes are on the frame tube, which is shown here. This may stop someone making the same mistake as I did, by having them filled in before coating!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

The discussion about prop stand set to stay down or spring up has been had before.

I have tended to the spring up faction but since riding the Yamaha may change my mind. The prop stand stays down and the engine cuts out if you try to pull away!

With the Matchless, I've more than once (numpty) thought the stand was down after stopping but not having done so properly then fallen over sideways. I think I'll invest in a microswitch and have the prop stand down. A side (!) benefit is that there would then be no temptation to kick start while still on the prop stand.

Johnny B
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

Most modern bikes have a switch on the side stand. It usually operates in conjunction with sensing of the bike in gear, and sometimes involves the clutch as well. If an electric start is installed it increases the possibilities for logic as it can be used as a start inhibit, not necessarily cutting the engine if other sensors say it's safe. The aim I believe is to prevent pulling away with the stand down while minimising the chance of the engine cutting while on the move. Maybe in a fast bend. Of course there are other reasons why an engine may cut, it's just to minimise that particular cause.
Stan
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Defo' go for the 'springs up' option. I have one bike (16ms) that's side stand stays down and it is the bike I've had my only 'off' on. Fortunately it was a left hand bend on a country road (not my most immediate thought at the time) doing about 30mph the stand (as I'd forgotten to flick it up) dug in. Needless to say I ended up facing the other way in the 6ft grass with the bike lying next to me. How I had no injuries (other than a very black bruise on my thigh) I don't know. And the bike was also absolutely fine (after the vegetation was removed). Definitely lost one of the nine lives that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

uktom77 wrote:Defo' go for the 'springs up' option. I have one bike (16ms) that's side stand stays down and it is the bike I've had my only 'off' on.
I have mine set to flick up on the basis that if the side stand was going to cause me to fall off I'd prefer it to happen whilst I was stationary instead of halfway round a bend.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
REW

Post by REW »

Late 70s and Honda used a piece of rubber like a pencil eraser attached to the back of the prop stand vertical "leg" and protruding below the level of the foot so the first thing to touch down is the rubber tip NOT the metal foot. Result: stand flips up if you lean the bike to the left once on the go.

Brilliantly simple; no logic, microswitch, wiring or "why won't it start?" moments. It wasn't sexy enough to feature in a sales brochure, presumably, so was replaced by all the gubbins that strands you instead.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

KISS.

Not for you Ron. I keep that for Linda.

Johnny B