New AJS owner with a fork question

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
martinbuilt AJS

New AJS owner with a fork question

Post by martinbuilt AJS »

Hi.
I'm in posession of a '51 model 18. It arrived in boxes, much is missing. I've bought or downloaded every relevant manual i could find.
I think i understand how the forks are put together, they are entirely different than anything i've worked on. A couple British bikes, some yamahas, and a couple Bultacos.

My question, before i go shopping, is whether there are items besides the seals that need renewed. One slider is stuck in place, if that offers a clue to what else i might need.
Thanks.
Mick D

Re: New AJS owner with a fork question

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Rather than me speculate, why not strip the forks before you go shopping? All parts are pretty easily sourced and should you need stanchions be aware that some low tensile steel ones are being offered, I'd recommend paying the extra for a high tensile set.

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

Hi welcome to the club. I would be inclined to take the forks apart first to make your judgement on what to buy. It could range from needing new stanchions because the original ones are rusted to hell, through new bushes for the sliders as well as the seals (the bushes should be a smooth sliding fit) to include possibly replacement fibre washers for the damper rod bolt at the bottom of the slider (thin walled socket needed or box spanner.) as there is nothing more annoying than a weep of oil once you have finished (been there).
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
martinbuilt AJS

Thanks for the replies. I was just looking for a place to start.
Typically, it takes a couple weeks for orders to arrive from the UK. I worry about having them apart and losing something...
Entirely possible, in my garage.
Fiber washers, i might have missed, thanks.
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

I have a very useful article on overhauling AMC front forks from the 'Motor Cycle' July 1966. I used it myself to do my own forks a few years ago. It may be on this website somewhere or I could email it as a PDF.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Trefor wrote:I have a very useful article on overhauling AMC front forks from the 'Motor Cycle' July 1966. I could email it as a PDF.
This one is from the 'Motor Cycle' of July '66 and is downloadable from Christian's Archive:

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Sus ... y_1966.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Taid

Post by Taid »

A company called 'doxdirect' makes a nice job of printing PDFs, ring bound with a choice of front and back covers.. fast turnaround.

There are other companies, this is the one I've used .. (No connection except satisfied customer ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
martinbuilt AJS

Thanks!
I've ordered a bunch of smalls from amc classic, and few other parts from the club store.
We'll see how long it takes for everything to arrive.
RobC_LAPSED

Post by RobC_LAPSED »

Hi
I'm at a similar stage. I've got a box of bits 1955 G80S and have been stripping the forks down. I'm just about to order a few bits. The main things I need to get are the leather washers at top and bottom of the main springs. The leather is starting to break up and I guess the bits wont help if they get past the oil seals (I'll get a pair of these too) and into the damping oil!
Hope this helps'
Rob