AJS Without Documents....

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
paulo

Post by paulo »

Hello Folks,

I last posted a while back when I was looking for an 18S/G80 for restoration, and received lots of helpful advice from your good selves. I have now joined the owner's club but am yet to become an owner as I'm still looking for the right bike.... Most advertised are already restored with the few 'tatty but complete' bikes I have seen about could have been sold 20 times over if the vendors are to be believed. My quest continues and I will find what I'm after, I have already acquired some whitworth tools in anticipation....

Anyway, quick question, a complete 1954 18S, cheap as it is without documents, what are the implications of this? I'm assuming it is not stolen as it is being sold by an established classic bike dealer. Naive perhaps but would it be a just be a case of applying for an age related plate to get it back on the road or are there further complications? Granted the history is an important part of an old machine but would any of you guys consider a bike with no docs, or not touch it with a barge pole with a health inspector on the end...?

Promise to send a picture when I finally get hold of something

Many thanks, Paul.
michael payton

Post by michael payton »

Hi Paul, I recently bought an unregistered G80s from the club shop. all you need to obtain an age related plate is a dating certifcate from the club, my bike already had one from the previous owner. I went to my local d.v.l.a office and they gave me the correct form which I completed and returned together with the dating cert.I was then given a date to take the bike for them to inspect and recieved a number about three days later.If you cannot take the bike to them they will do a home visit although this takes a little longer. IT cost me approximately £38.00 and was very easy, If you dont want it taxed immediatly you dont even need a test certificate. Mick
motorcyclemichael
paulo

Post by paulo »

HiMick,

Thanks for your reply, turns out I've missed this one as well.... Won't let a lack of docs put me off too much in future.

Cheers, Paul.