Newbie restorer 1960 AJS 350 single ?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
lchris21

Post by lchris21 »

First of all, Hi to everyone, My first of probably many posts on this web forum.
I'm about to venture into the unkown, with a restoration project of what I'm assuming is a 1960 AJS 350 single. My first question is, is it what I think it is ?
Sometimes known as a Model 8 ?
I need to establish exactly what is is before I start compiling as much info as possible.
Any tips/hints ? Anything major / common faults I should be aware of?
Any useful websites other than this I can use for reference ?
The bike has been standing for 18 years and was used right up until its last ride. Its only covered a measley 25K, so hopefully it should be OK mechanically !
I have no manuals for it whatsoever, so this should be fun. I've dabbled in bikes and cars for many years, and am in the engineering trade so I'm not to worried about the skills of doing the various jobs that need to be carried out.
I've posted a picture in the photos section.
Thanks in anticipation
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

Hi, I'm quite new I've been asking loads of daft questions this last month or so and had some very helpful, and amusing, answers. I'm sure you'll get loads of help.

A good website is http://www.freewebs.com/ajsmatchless/ch ... rchive.htm if you register (free) you'll get access to all sorts of useful information.

It is well worth joining the AJS & Matchless Owners Club as you'll be able to buy the pats you are going to need for a very reasonable price.

Cheers
Mick
itma

Post by itma »

May I also point out that the pats you buy from the club will be needed for your cat.

You can also buy spare parts
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

Can tell you are a newbie to animals......cats is for stroking, dogs and little children are for patting.....
Mick
ajaygray

Post by ajaygray »

oooo errrr - You could get locked up for comments like that Mick!!
Benavente

Post by Benavente »

Hello,

I also bought my 1960 350 AJS this year. It is a Model 16 though. Being a member of the club helped me a lot to get the bike on the road in only a few months from total disaster.
Had no knowledge of mechanics and even less of old bikes before, but have learned a lot, specially about AMC thanks to the collaboration of owners and Jampot Spares.
Good luck and do not hesitate to become a member!

Juan