Newbie take the plunge?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
laxy

Newbie take the plunge?

Post by laxy »

Depending on what you want from your bike, you can get it mot and run it or,If you go down the restoration road you are going to need a lot of patience and deep pockets.
Regarding the finish for the wheel rims, the original finish would have been chrome with black painted centres lined with a thin silver pinstripe.
If you want to know if the bike has all the [correct] bits look at the one on the photos listings.
Best of luck. KEITH
Biscuit
Deceased

Newbie take the plunge?

Post by Biscuit »

Treebor, we talking 1961, not 1952. It was lack of nickel, due to the Korean war, that wheels were painted, or rather they had a fancy name for the finish which escapes me.
Edited by - Biscuit on 23 Aug 2006 11:04:13 PM

Duncan

Newbie take the plunge?

Post by Duncan »

Argenized
laxy

Newbie take the plunge?

Post by laxy »

Alan the fancy name that escapes you is ARGONISE
[Could be spelt with a Z depending were you live]
nilocsnikle

Newbie take the plunge?

Post by nilocsnikle »

nilocsnikle

Newbie take the plunge?

Post by nilocsnikle »

Hi all

Thanks for all your support, its being delivered tomorow, So the fun starts, I have taken your comments and will firstly get it running then do the wheels, then probably just ride it around and have fun, maybe see some of you out and about

Thanks again

Col
treebor99

Newbie take the plunge?

Post by treebor99 »

Biscuit, see post by nilocsnikle 22Aug.
Qute
"well I got all of that wrong, the bike is complete, the nuts look like they have never had a spanner on them and its a 1951 G80.... "

As to whether it was a shortage of Chrome, nickel, tin, brass or gold I don't have a clue - I wasn't born until err much later than 1951.

So here's my revised comment
A war somewhere caused AMC to do something other than Chrome on the wheel rims on my father in laws 1952 G80S - what they did on anybody elses Matchless ( or AJS) I can't say for definite but it's possible that a bike from the same time period may also have something other than chrome on the wheel rims.

Everybody have a great bank holiday weekend.
Treebor

Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it for long enough.