input / output gearbox shaft leak

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Paul MM

Re: input / output gearbox shaft leak

Post by Paul MM »

Good evening everyone

Finally got to the 'box and tried to get it to statically leak from the output shaft - no luck. Then tried turning the box with a drill and you can see the oil starting to be drawn between the inner and outer sleeve shafts. I've lost about half the oil so far and am fairly confident that it wasn;t overfilled so definitely being drawn out of the box by the input shaft while the bike is stationary. Obviously haven't checked this 'moving'. Before i commit to a stripdown, does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this and is there a quick access fix without said stripdown. There were a couple of odd lumps in the oil as i was draining it, ill investigate tomorrow when i've finished emptying it. Unfortunately i couldn't upload the video. Image[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul MM

Post by Paul MM »

odd lumps turned out to be sludge and what appears to be the remains of a felt like substance - about 0.5 cm squared. Could this possibly just be the result of all the oil draining over 3 years to the bottom of the gearbox creating a higher than usual level which then got drawn out? Clutching at straws here but hoping to avoid taking it to bits..........
Paul MM

Post by Paul MM »

OK - so all to bits and there is nothing obviously wrong............... I'll change all the seals and the output bearing which is a bit sticky as well as the bushes on the sleeve shaft and see if that works........ Will keep you posted