1949 m16 running no battery ?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
49Dan

1949 m16 running no battery ?

Post by 49Dan »

Hello all ,

Hoping some of you can shed a little light on whether this is possible.

I have a 1949 m16 and would like to run it without a battery , is it possible to wire it in a way where i can do this and still have lights whilst riding ?

I have it wired without currently but only have lights under full acceleration.

Any help would he greatly appreciated.

Cheers

dan
clive

Re: 1949 m16 running no battery ?

Post by clive »

My immediate thought is why? Assuming you have a magneto and the bike has not been converted in some way it will run very happily without a battery. When it comes to lights the dynamo will probably only produce full power at 40mph. At tickover at traffic lights etc you will have no lights or very probably little in the way of lights as you slow down to make a turn. Without a battery your electric horn will not work. A small, 7 amp hour or so, AGM battery does not cost a lot and you can get a fake battery box to fit it in. The advantage of the AGM battery is that it will hold its charge for some months without use. You must not fully discharge them though as it can be difficult to get them charging again.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Groily

Post by Groily »

There's no good way to support lights at low rpm without a battery on a dynamo bike. (The capacitors you might be thinking about, fitted on some alternator bikes, were designed to capture a bit of juice at kickstart revs for no-battery or flat-battery starting with coil ignition. Not for lights).
I'd also get a battery!
49Dan

Post by 49Dan »

Thanks for the replies.

I did think this was the case, the reason for doing so was just cosmetic .. i shall upload a photo of the bike once i find out how .

I shall look into those small 7 amp batterys , to see if i can hide it somewhere .
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

Is there no battery carrier on the left side of the bike underneath the seat?
49Dan

Post by 49Dan »

AndrewM wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:55 am Is there no battery carrier on the left side of the bike underneath the seat?
There certainly was …