yes it's me again! one thing after another...

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Wayne Cole

yes it's me again! one thing after another...

Post by Wayne Cole »

so the stripped head bolts (again!) after cox and turner supposedly put the right size coils in the two centre holes, stuck rocker arm from god knows how loctite and grit got in there? then to find that cox and turner had put the wrong valve in the bloody exhaust, and after I got them to lap it in! the valve was way too short I found out, after I had finally got the thing back together to the point of tappet adjustment I thought ang about, have I put the rocker arms in wrong? so stripped it again took rocker arms off to find that no, they are right? dunno what valve it is but it's completely wrong, luckily the seat bit is the same size, and luckily I had 3 spare new valves laying around, so I lapped in new valve and sweet as! all seems to be good now apart from 1 thing which is the rocker box isn't sitting flush, cox n co leveled both sides of head and now the rockerbox is off, I can see light coming through but, I will just level it on the cooker top with sandpaper when the misses is out. all this with a 3 year old running around me! is my old man up there trying to tell me something? may I put this to you people, two rocker box gaskets to compensate for the unevenness? I will get close but maybe not all the way flush, so just a thought to put two gaskets on bolt box down tight and hopefully no gap? no disrespect to cox and turner at all but, deary deary me...

Re: yes it's me again! one thing after another...

Post by 1608 »

I may have this wrong, but perhaps the head is flat and the rockerbox is warped, not Cox and Turner's fault.I would persevere with flatting the r/box and not use two gaskets or over tighten the bolts.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

1608 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:02 am I may have this wrong, but perhaps the head is flat and the rockerbox is warped, not Cox and Turner's fault.I would persevere with flatting the r/box and not use two gaskets or over tighten the bolts.
cox and turner did put the wrong size coild in two stripped bolts and the wrong exhaust valve. anyway it's coming along now...

Post by 1608 »

I was only refering to the flatting of the top side of the head , not the poor work on the thread repair or wrong valve. Poor work!
Good luck with it though.