1929 M6 lubrication

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Tim K

1929 M6 lubrication

Post by Tim K »

Hi Everyone
I've just finished putting my M6 together and am hoping someone can tell me how long I should have to wait for the oil to start returning to the tank when it's first started up :?: . I've run it twice for about 30 seconds each time but no oil is coming back to the tank yet. I've checked that the pump is pushing oil through to the engine and that seems fine. I'm a bit concerned as my BSA A10 started pumping oil back to the tank after about 30 seconds when I stripped that down last time.
Cheers :beer:
Tim
56G80S

Re: 1929 M6 lubrication

Post by 56G80S »

I know nowt about the early machines but certainly there's often a nervous period with the plunger pump machines. On these I'm told that provided plenty of oil is used when building and some oil provided down the pushrod tubes they can run a a while with no real harm.

Someone better informed ref the early machines will chime in.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

As John said, with plunger pumps it can take quite a while as sufficient oil has to collect in the crankcase to reach the level of the return filter- in my experience it can be up to 4 minutes on later engines. There's mention of the delay on page 13 in the Owners Manual which can be found here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

As you don't seem to be a subscriber to the funding of the club and the website ;) you won't be able to open attached/linked photos so I've posted them by using an external host website.

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tim K

Post by Tim K »

Hi Spriddler & Johnny B
Thanks for the guidance, I started her again and within about 20 seconds a steady dribble of oil was being returned to the tank. So I'm a lot more confident having her tickover as I fiddle with carburation etc.
I think my membership lapsed in March, but that's been remedied now - thanks for the hint.
Cheers
Tim K