16ms rebuild

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Stephen Southwell

16ms rebuild

Post by Stephen Southwell »

Hi guys just got my first ajs 350 ,wasn't pumping oil on the return pipe and on investigation turned out to be the oil plunger splines striped and the end of the crank damaged,so a total rebuild is required, I have engine out and partially stripped but I'm having trouble removing the timing gear on the end of the crank, any tips much appreciated, also piston and barrel scored so maybe a new oversized piston and rebore necessary,
Any help or comments would be great
Thanks everyone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Re: 16ms rebuild

Post by Duncan »

Hi, there is a tool for removing the pinion, see page 30 in the workshop manual http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... models.pdf, unfortunately I have had varying success with them some pinions are so tight that they can damage the lip on the tool or burr the end of the teeth. For reference the pinion is on a taper with a keyway set in the axle to position it.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

I modified a clutch puller with a big washer and some ground down M8 bolts.
IMG_20230604_121840.jpg
IMG_20230729_191742.jpg
Tighten up the puller and a bit of heat on pinion and (touch wood) the ones I've done have popped off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Joker_Bones on Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

I reckon this one was taken off with a chisel...
IMG_20230726_122106~2.jpg
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

I think depending on the year... The pinion may pass through the bush and can be left on.
The oil pump plunger has to removed before separating the cases but sounds like you have done that.
Stephen Southwell

Post by Stephen Southwell »

Thanks guys for the suggestions I'll have a play tonight 😀
clive

Post by clive »

From your photo yours is not the type of crankcase which will allow disassembly without so yours will have to come off. No one has mentioned that the nut is a left hand thread. Good luck.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:26 pm No one has mentioned that the nut is a left hand thread. Good luck.

That's because the nut is already off in the pic with the puller in place.

Nerrr (500x400).jpg
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

Well actually Spriddler I was helpfully replying to Stephen who raised the original question not Joker bones who posted the pictures of the puller. If you trouble to go to the first post I think you will find the photo shows the nut still in place. :clap:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:17 pm Well actually Spriddler I was helpfully replying to Stephen who raised the original question not Joker bones who posted the pictures of the puller. If you trouble to go to the first post I think you will find the photo shows the nut still in place. :clap:
:oops:
I've suffered too many days of rain, Clive. It's giving me cabin fever.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'