Grease gun nozzle

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
EddieDay

Grease gun nozzle

Post by EddieDay »

Hello all. My first post here as I am a new member. I wanted to grease all the nipples on my newly acquired 1958 M18S but I have found that the nozzle on my grease gun is too large for the nipples on the bike. I have done a lot of web surfing but cannot find nozzles that are (obviously) smaller for my gun. The diameter of the nipple balls is about 5mm, a little over 3/16". Does anyone know where I can find suitable nozzles?
EddieDay

Re: Grease gun nozzle

Post by EddieDay »

I think I have found the answer to my own question. I did not see the search box on the forum chat until after I posted my thread. It seems I need either a Tecalamit grease gun or a needle nozzle adaptor.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

If you have a problem with grease escaping from around the grease nipple then try putting a piece of cloth between the gun and nipple , this helps quite often. MikeM.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

A modern grease gun is made for modern grease nipples. Go find an old grease gun on ebay
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

I have a few of the small old brass grease guns. They hold just a small amount of grease but it's enough for top ups.

Like this,
https://www.oldhandtools.co.uk/vintage- ... grease-gun
EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

Jackstringer, thanks. I see that grease gun is a Tecalamit. In the end I bought a needle nozzle which works surprisingly well. I thought that it would allow grease to escape but I found that if I kept it square and pushed on firmly it would inject fresh grease until plenty of old grease cam out of the gaps around, for example, the brake pedal.