oil return quantity

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Vink27A

oil return quantity

Post by Vink27A »

So the first kick was succesfull after 60 years of abandoning and demolition of the army G3LS. First I checked the oil returning to the tank, I'm used to get a quantity as with a gear pump (Velocette, Norton) but it's a bit of a slabby trickle at stationairy revs, however it increases at higher revs. Could any confirm this return quantity? Is it correct or should it be more.
I started the engine with about 0,5-0.8 ltr of oil in the crankcase to supply enough oil to the new parts, but this results in a overflow at the venting hose. How is the quantity or oil regulated between in and out. or should it be all in the design?
jackstringer

Re: oil return quantity

Post by jackstringer »

It's a rather lazy pump, it is not an amazing flow rate.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Vink27A wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:51 pm
I started the engine with about 0,5-0.8 ltr of oil in the crankcase to supply enough oil to the new parts, but this results in a overflow at the venting hose.
By 'venting hose' do you mean the c/case breather or the oil tank breather outlet? Either way you have not only put far too much oil in the c/case but the c/case oil is scavenged straight back to the tank. I.E. it doesn't pass through and lubricate the engine parts.
How is the quantity or oil regulated between in and out. or should it be all in the design?
The pump's scavenge rate is greater than that of the flow side.

The oscillating pump produces bursts of oil rather than a continuous flow. At tickover it's normal to get just spurts and bubbles once the c/case has been cleared.
Oil pump action..gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Yves.Astein

Post by Yves.Astein »

I confirm the above. Mine just dribbles a bit as well. No gushing fountain to be seen.
Vink27A

Post by Vink27A »

Thanks a lot for the information, it's a reasurement for me.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

Here is a short video of mine.

Cold engine.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Well done, Jack. Mine looks much like that. Should be very re-assuring for any new owners of our machines.

Johnny B