Changing from 6v to 12v

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
AndrewM

Re: Changing from 6v to 12v

Post by AndrewM »

I’m another one who supports sticking with 6v but switching to LED bulbs, cheap easy and effective. Got mine from https://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com
56G80S

Re: Changing from 6v to 12v

Post by 56G80S »

A "Search" will show lots more discussion of this topic.

Personally, I intended to make the change to 12V using the short dynamo that was in my Matchless by "cutting the wire" on my AO regulator. There's an argument to suggest that if doing significant miles and attending rallies, particularly abroad as I and others do, 12V is easier to obtain, particularly in H4 format for headlights However, I currently ride little at night. Everything on the Matchless is LED on the lighting front. While not perfect the 6V LED headlight does the job well enough. There appears to be increasing availability of LEDs which are not polarity sensitive and have a wider voltage range allowing for a switch from 6 to 12 volt. I may change the whole reflector arrangement to suit an H4 and 35W 6V Halogen lamp - these can be found. TBH, even the old tungsten 6V BPF 35/35w weren't a complete disaster if used with a good reflector, direct earth from the battery and clean connections; the beam pattern is good.

I also have indicators fitted and with LEDs and they are bright enough.

I do charge my old mobile phone which is used as a satnav, they only take 5 volts anyway, although dedicated sat navs may be fussy on this front. My handlebar USB socket charger no longer produces enough amps to charge the up to date mobile but is fine for the old mobile phone sat nav; this will charge even when the engine is off. I can opt to plug a separate charger into the handlebar cigarette lighter socket which has a higher amps output and does charge the newer mobile - when I remember to have it with me! Which I didn't at the most recent rally.

Hope this helps.

Johnny B