Oil flow issue

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
G3L1946

Oil flow issue

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi all,

Just started up my latest acquisition, a 1947 G3L. I think it has been in dry storage for some time so I’ve changed the engine oil and given it a good inspection. Eventually started it ( different procedure than my ‘55 ) and ran fine. However, inspection of the oil return to tank revealed no return. Waited about 3 minutes with no return so turned engine off. Did I wait sufficiently long enough? What’s the next step to check oil circulation without running risk of damage!

Thanks for any advice, no matter how obvious,

Steve
ajscomboman

Re: Oil flow issue

Post by ajscomboman »

Heart stopping isn't it. If you drained the tank and sump it takes for an eternity to see a return flow. Start it and watch the oil level, if it's dropping it'll do no harm to let it idle till the return eventually decides to scavenge.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

I think my heart did stop mate! I soon break into a sweat if I think it’s all going pear shaped!
So, need to wait a bit longer then? The old oil was completely drained out along with the sump. This was made easier as a previous owner has replaced the sump bung with a nice, miniature, brass tap!

Steve
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

it'll feel like you've run a marathon! I think Clive Turner clocked around 5-8 mins before his decided to cough and splutter! I have gone 5 mins before a return has belched into life. Just let it do it's thing, as long as the oil is dropping it's going into the motor.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

Going on some back of the sandwich packet maths (lunch time). ~5ml/s at tickover, the engine has ~1ltr of oil in it so I would expect it to take 3m 20s just to fill the bottom of the crank etc.

Thankfully the oil drips down to the crank so all the bits that need it get some oil not long after starting but it takes a while before there is enough for the engine to pump back into the tank.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reassurance. Heart re started and is now ticking over nicely. A hot cup of Yorkshire tea and I’ll give it another go.
Jack, your maths is better than mine! 😆

Steve
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Slacken the rocker feed oil should reach there much quicker as its on the feed side, it takes longer for this oil
to drain back to the engine sump and back to the tank, it also as to fill the filter before showing at the tank.
if it's coming out of the rocker feed nip it back up and wait a bit longer at least you know the pressure feed
is very likely ok.
Ralph

G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Thanks Ralph,

Giving it another go tomorrow when she’s finished giving me ‘important jobs’ to do !

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Relax. You're not alone. It's a Frequently Asked Question.
To put your mind at rest see Clive's experience posted in 2014 and others' comments here in the ..........'Frequently Asked Questions' forum:

viewtopic.php?t=13368
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Ahhhh! What a good thread, should have found that! Explains ,hopefully, my experience is, by no means, unique!

Steve