Problem With Valve Lifter Arm

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
stuck_amals

Problem With Valve Lifter Arm

Post by stuck_amals »

The valve lifter arm won’t stay put. It seems like it is being pulled out by the return spring. It seems to pull out way too easy. Maybe a new o-ring will help that. The current one is rock hard. Is there a part number for a replacement?

Any suggestion or comments?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it ain’t broke fix it ‘till it is
SPRIDDLER

Re: Problem With Valve Lifter Arm

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I'd try to reform the eye for the anchor screw to bring the spring coils closer to the rocker casting.
If not, try a replacement spring and 'O' ring. Available from club spares........

Valve lifter spring and O ring.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
stuck_amals

Post by stuck_amals »

Thanks Spriddler, the spring is new. I did try bending the spring where it hooks over arm. I’ll try the other end.

Thank you for the part number for seal. I looked and looked for it with no success. The current one is rock hard.
stuck_amals

Post by stuck_amals »

Heating and adjusting the eyelet solved the problem

Thanks Spriddler!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

stuck_amals wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:08 pm Heating and adjusting the eyelet solved the problem

Thanks Spriddler!
Jolly good!
The 'O' ring is nothing special and I would've thought that you could find one locally that fits if you measure your old one, or even buy a box of assorted ones in the States for less cost than getting one (or two) from U.K. club spares. You can't have too many 'O' rings. :)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
stuck_amals

Post by stuck_amals »

Thanks Spriddler, that is my plan.
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

stuck_amals wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:01 am The valve lifter arm won’t stay put. It seems like it is being pulled out by the return spring. It seems to pull out way too easy. Maybe a new o-ring will help that. The current one is rock hard. Is there a part number for a replacement?
Any suggestion or comments?
I see that you have reformed the spring and cured the problem!

But as in the last couple of weeks I have finally (after 44 years of having it languish in the garages of 8 addresses), started work on the G80S I bought for £100 in 1979, I thought it relevant to add my little experience to this thread..... because I have had the same problem!

The stainless steel spring, P/N 013970S which I bought from the Spares scheme (along with new arm and O ring) has the form of the one shown in the OPs pics - due to the axial length, this end loads the arm/shaft - which as it is held in purely by the friction of the O ring - simply slides out when you operate it a couple of times. The original spring is much shorter axially and does not promote this movement. If I manage, I shall attach photos (this is my first post).

It looks to me that 013970 (spring steel) and 013970S (stainless steel) both have the same form and so will exhibit the same problem. Caveat emptor!

So, it's out with the blowtorch for me - or as mine will be very much an 'oily rag, replace only if mechanically necessary' sort of restoration, I'll just use the original spring!