650 exhaust pipes

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
paulvk

650 exhaust pipes

Post by paulvk »

Hi . Dose anyone know if there are any difference between the 1959 650 and the 1960+ exhaust pipes ?
Regards....Paul
dave16mct

Re: 650 exhaust pipes

Post by dave16mct »

They are different. It's the angle of the exhaust ports that was changed for 1960. The near side is worse than the off side.
Dave..
LynP

Post by LynP »

That's interesting. I recently fitted a pair of Armours pipes to my 1961 G12 they are not a good fit, the left one does not go into the port in the head far enough because the curve at the bottom of the down section hits the bulge for the alternator which means it goes about half way into the port (it could well be better with the smaller bulge magneto type chain case). The right pipe won't go all the way in because the it seems the bend does at the top needs to be down wards a little more. Could it be they were made for a 1959? Going on from there is it possible then the wrong pipes were supplied or maybe Armours supply the same pipes for all 1959 on twins. I have read on the forum their Siamese one fit OK. The bike is definitely standard years for frame and engine parts. LynP
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

When I was there to pick up an exhaust system for a 16C they showed me several sets of pipes that cover the twins. They also said that over the years there have been small tweaks by previous owners of the business. They will listen to buyers who have had fitting issues if they can sit and explain where they've had problems. However they won't listen to rants as it accomplishes nothing! So it might best best if we as a club could assist if owners list their bike model and year and the issues found. I could collate it all and then contact Darren.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Lyn I think you would know if it was a 59 exhaust as it wouldn't fit at all on the near side.
My 1960 CSR siamese exhaust fitted almost perfectly. Only the bracket was slightly wrong but that was easily 'adjusted'.
My 1958 18CS exhaust went straight on with no problems but I did order the reduced diameter pipe thinking I might have difficulty fitting it over the footrest.
Dave
LynP

Post by LynP »

I think ajscombomans idea of gathering information is a good idea because more notice might be take of a club that has looked into any issues.
I did not feel I could go back to Armours because I purchased the pipes a while ago and only fitted them this summer.
I am considering buying Siameses pipes for now as I don't want to use the bike with the current ones not properly into the ports and hitting the alternator bulge. If I could buy a pair of twin pipes from Armours or someone else that fitted properly I would rather fit those with the new megas phones now on the bike and to keep the bike as close to the way it was as I can. LynP
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

Interesting post. I’ve noticed that standard silencers for the 650 twin are only listed by Armour as 1960 on and have been wondering if they would fit my 1959 M31
It's all just riding motorbikes
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

bigwol wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:00 pm Interesting post. I’ve noticed that standard silencers for the 650 twin are only listed by Armour as 1960 on and have been wondering if they would fit my 1959 M31
Port angle is different on 59 model.
LynP

Post by LynP »

Previously I posted a question about twin exhausts and have been wondering if anyone has had problems with them. Following ajscomboman's offer of taking up any issues with Armours I have looked back at posts from some time back that highlighted problems, but as nothing has been said on that score following my recent post I am assuming I was alone in the problems I have and that the pipes they now sell fit.
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

ajscomboman wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:27 pm
bigwol wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:00 pm Interesting post. I’ve noticed that standard silencers for the 650 twin are only listed by Armour as 1960 on and have been wondering if they would fit my 1959 M31
Port angle is different on 59 model.
I appreciate the front pipes are different due to the port angle Rob but was asking if the silencers are the same?
On the subject of exhausts I’ve noticed that the left silencer on my G15cs doesn’t line up correctly with the flared part of the front tube and is loose and that it’s the same on a couple of friends G15s too. No one seems to stock the G15 front pipes these days
It's all just riding motorbikes