Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Steve

Re: Tank stripe 1947

Post by Steve »

I bow down to far superior knowledge :bow: sorry
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

😜 No superior knowledge my end! Lot of guess work though!
Good thing about this forum is you’ll always get an answer in the end!

Cheers for joining in!

Steve
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

The the finish on your badge a paint finish?

My '61 has a chrome badge that has been painted with matt silver but then it's a Dutch Army bike.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi, No it’s metal, unpainted. It’s just a hammered finished and not ‘bright chrome’ more of a satin finish. See attached picture. I have a photograph of the petrol tank, prior to restoration, and they appear to be the originals.
It would be interesting to know if these were standard or optional?

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

Steve wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:59 pm
AndrewM wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:03 pm I had this image in my collection of images I had scavenged online, which I assume shows original tank striping. Bike looks like a 1947 or early 48 model (strap headlight supports, exhaust lifter on crankcase).

I’ve looked at the template shown above by Spriddler and it looks to be more curved top and bottom than the striping in the tank images I have seen, not sure it is correct for your tank.
Isn't the template Spriddler posted the top of the tank judging from the cutout at the front?
I was also a bit confused by the diagram that Spriddler posted. The view of the striping looks like an elevation but it is superimposed on a tank outline that looks like a plan. (Of course Spriddler is only the messenger so the issue is with the original draughtsman). :)
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi ,
All sorted now. The cut out, which confused, was in plan view and given as a means of proportion and position. It showed the positioning of the stripe in relation to the petrol tank recess for the steering down frame. The decal pinstripe is as in picture albeit with some variations. I have located the correct design from a 1947 advertising poster. The dimensions are as in the diagram and includes a 1/32 ins. blue line centre of the stripe.
Tank is now with sign writer being painted. I will post a picture on its return!

Cheers

Steve