Matchless G2 250 -1960 model year

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
DRC

Matchless G2 250 -1960 model year

Post by DRC »

Good Morning

I Wondered if anyone would be able to explain what to check, and how, regarding a loss of spark, I am a bit of a novice with this so you will have to excuse my ignorance. The bike was running and I noticed the ammeter was working backwards i.e. moving to the right when light switched on, after reading up on this it seamed the wires were back to front which I altered, the ammeter and lights now worked but the bike didn’t, I put it back to how it was but it still didn’t spark, so I have the following questions.

1 - there are 3 wires on the ammeter although wiring diagram shows only brown and blue, the other wire is black does this go with the brown or the blue.
2 – The battery is fully charged and I have replaced the plug cap and HT lead, can you let me know how to check that the coil is ok with a multimeter (reading etc)
3 – I have not changed spark plug but will get one tomorrow, can you explain what side of bike points and condenser are on and how to check these.
4 – Does this model (Matchless 250 G2 1960) have a Dynamo or alternator and how to check it is working ok.
5 – can you let me know what spark plug fits this bike as it does not say in the manual

Sorry for all the questions as I said I am a bit clueless with this but would like to learn.

Cheers

Dave Church
clive

Re: Matchless G2 250 -1960 model year

Post by clive »

Hi again David I know nowt about lightweights as previously notified but I wonder if you have had a search of Christians Archives http://archives.jampot.dk/ where there is a mass of information to sort through. You will find owners manuals, parts lists and workshop books for your bike.

This owners manual below for your model may answer some of your questions. The only one I think I can answer is that your G2 is unlikely to have dynamo but I am probably wrong.
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
good luck.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I know a bit less than Clive about L/Ws but from the manual's wiring diagram (and if your wiring is as original) it may the same as on page 46 of the manual. The black colour seems to be the feed from the lighting switch to the speedo lamp and the tail lamp. Try leaving it unconnected and see if you get a spark.
Re the ignition, it will have an alternator and the condenser arrangement would be like this......

Lightweight ignition wiring b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Dave, also go and visit the Oxford section in Cassington ( see https://www.jampot.com/Sections.asp) - there may be another G2 owner within the group.
Corners like a Lego man
DRC

Post by DRC »

Thanks for all the great info, i had some inspiration!, after swapping the wires on the ammeter i left the front of the headlamp off while trying to start the bike not thinking it would make any difference, i decided to put it back on yesterday and give it another go as it could be a grounding problem, and low and behold the spark came back!
Looking forward to meeting up with all the good people in Matchless land sometime. Cheers

DC