Identify Crankpin

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
ajsph

Identify Crankpin

Post by ajsph »

I got this crankpin along with other AMC parts, can anyone identify it,it looks like an onepiece type, the dimensions are: Axle 3/4" Crankpin 1,20375" Outerdia. Ring 2"

Regards Poul Hansen
20231219_160842_1.jpg
20231219_160823_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Re: Identify Crankpin

Post by clive »

Poul
Single big end. If it is one piece it's probably an Alpha one as they made them like that for a while in the 80's (?) before reverting to a two piece type as the original ones from AMC were. The diameter of the part that goes into the Flywheels changed at one point but I cannot help with the date. Someone will know.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

I do not know if it is an Alpha, it came in this box
Poul
20231220_103155_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bjork

Post by bjork »

As Clive says, if it is a one piece it was either made by Alpha or this firm in Syston near Leicester. I'm from Leicester and have never heard of that company, long gone I suspect. Maybe they copied the Alpha design?
If it is a one piece it's probably best not to use it as they were prone to breaking at the point where the diameter changes. That is why Alpha went back to the original AMC spec.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
clive

Post by clive »

Yes I broke a one piece one but it was on a 500 single pulling a double adult Sidecar!
clive
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

Thank you for your reply. All the AMC single I have seen are with 7/8" axle for the flywheels, this one is with 3/8" axle, could it be for a WD model.
Poul
clive

Post by clive »

I made reference to the change in diameter earlier. I have a new old stock wd issue big end which has the reduced diameter. It's possible they were fitted to earlier pre-war models as well. Is 3/8 a typo as I think it more likely that the reduced diameter on the one I have is 3/4 but my garage is 1.5 miles away so I cannot check, but 3/8 seems very small.
clive
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

Thanks Clive yes it is 3/4"
Poul