Aluminium Solder at Kempton

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Andy51

Aluminium Solder at Kempton

Post by Andy51 »

Hi All, I recently saw a rep demonstrate a Swedish aluminium solder/braze product. He heated the piece to be soldered, 'tinned' it with this new wonder product, then scratched the surface through the molten solder with a stainless steel wire brush, thereby enabling the solder to penetrate under the oxide layer to achieve a bond. Trouble is, I can't remember the name of the product - I am sure it was at Kempton and that it was Swedish. Internet searches no good - anyone out there with a better memory, or any other recommendations for products that will join aluminium? Cheers, Andy
adz25

Re: Aluminium Solder at Kempton

Post by adz25 »

Hi

Was it lumiweld? This is a blow torch temperature method of joining and repairing aluminium.

Adam
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

That's the stuff! However, it gets mixed reviews and may not live up to its maker's claims. Thanks very much, Andy
adz25

Post by adz25 »

Cool, I have used it to repair non structural items but not joined 2 pieces of Ali, it seemed to work for what I needed it to. Be careful that you don't melt the piece you are trying to build up!

Adam
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Many long years ago I worked for a company called X-ergon that sold direct to maintenance men, car workshops, farmers and other "non welders". The products were extremely easy to use and worked well. Farmers particularly liked the stick "hard facing" rod and the stick cutting rods. There were stick brazing rods as well as low melt temperature silver solder with a higher re-melt temperature, meaning it could be used to build up (carefully). There was also an aluminium solder!

All the stuff was expensive but even a novice like me could achieve satisfactory results. Skilled welders wouldn't have been interested.

Johnny B
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

We used to use X-ergon rods at times, a fluxed brazing gas rod and a lecky cast iron rod cant remember ever having a fail.
Ralph